Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by cccbbs!axi.. » Sat, 24 Aug 1991 12:48:57

Well, I have finally gotten deep enough into Cincinnati
Computer Connection that I've figured out how to post messages
to Usenet news groups.  I'm also trying to find out
as much as possible about Usenet and Unix.  I accidentally
discovered it in the following manner --
I am a user of the Tri-State Online system.  Recently they
got a Teleport to Cleveland Freenet.  Cleveland Freenet
has access to quite a few Usenet groups, but I've seen
mention of some even more interesting ones.  I've heard
about "software" for the PC to allow a person to go
into a "Unix site" and download newsgroups and so forth
... from one person I heard that this software was called
UUCP.  So far I haven't any definitive information on
the subject.  I'm also finding out that Usenet comes
from no single source and, from what I've been able to tell,
no single place carries all the news groups.
   Question ... is there an INDEX of all the newsgroups and
the systems that carry them so that I can figure out what
it is that I'm the most interested in and then hunt
them down???  Thanks!
     John

     (513) 541-3078

Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by Dan Bernste » Tue, 27 Aug 1991 08:54:59

> Well, I have finally gotten deep enough into Cincinnati
> Computer Connection that I've figured out how to post messages
> to Usenet news groups.

Too bad.

Quote:> I'm also trying to find out
> as much as possible about Usenet and Unix.

Did it ever occur to you that, of your friends and acquaintances, there
might be someone, maybe just one person, who would explain these things
to you if you bothered to ask? Did you really think that your ignorance
is a newsworthy fact? Would you have written the above in a letter to a
magazine? ``Dear Dr. Dobbs: I'm clueless. Can you help me? I just found
out that you exist, and I'd like to know what other magazines there are
in the world and what I do to subscribe to them. I'm trying to find out
as much as possible about UNIX, too.''

This is a public forum. People come here to chat about what's happening
in the world. In the comp.unix.questions corner hundreds of experts and
thousands of onlookers listen as a few dozen people a day ask QUESTIONS
about UNIX. Suddenly a novice strides in and introduces himself. ``Man!
This place is, like, totally awesome! My buddy Biff told me where to go
to find you dudes. So, like, I'm looking for definitive information. Is
this the end of the universe? Does God exist? And are there more people
like you? I'm trying to find out, like, as much as possible, but, like,
I don't want to waste my time learning it! Tell me everything! Dude!''

Is it any surprise that the experts turn away, while the local hecklers
put the novice in his place? Should the novice be angry to be told that
if he doesn't yet know the extent of his ignorance, he should learn how
to listen instead of how to scream?

You should be able to find a news.announce.newusers group. If you don't
see any articles in it, wait (perhaps as long as a month) until you see
various introductory articles. Read them. Don't post anything to USENET
until you have a question that the news reader next door can't answer.

See you next year.

---Dan

Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by Paul Pershi » Tue, 27 Aug 1991 11:37:55

Quote:>Did it ever occur to you that, of your friends and acquaintances, there
>might be someone, maybe just one person, who would explain these things
>to you if you bothered to ask? Did you really think that your ignorance
>is a newsworthy fact? W

What makes you think your self-important petulance is newsworthy, *?

--paul
--
| Paul Pershing_______________| "Better shut 'er down, Slim. She's pumpin'  |

|             When in doubt, RTFM or consult your pineal gland.             |

Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by Brian Fitzgera » Wed, 28 Aug 1991 12:38:16

You didn't need to stomp on him to make your point.

Brian

Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by Daniel Smi » Thu, 29 Aug 1991 04:23:46

Quote:> >Did it ever occur to you that, of your friends and acquaintances, there
> >might be someone, maybe just one person, who would explain these things
> >to you if you bothered to ask? Did you really think that your ignorance
> >is a newsworthy fact? W
> What makes you think your self-important petulance is newsworthy, *?

        Agreed, a better answer would have been to hand out Jonathan Kamens
mail server address for FAQ, and to say "see news.newusers.*".  Dan would
have had more of a point if the "offender" had posted to comp.unix.wizards,
but since this is "questions", it was way out of line.

with this in the message: send usenet/index

                        Daniel (Smith, not Bernstein!)
--

Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, 94903, CA (415) 491 0765 x 250(w), 491 0402(fax)
              Disclaimer: written by a highly caffeinated mammal

1. Complete Unix Illiterate

All I can say is, welcome to Usenet.

And Dan, I hope people are more forgiving of you when you're trying to learn
something and are asking for assistance.

-----
Eric Smith         |  "We must welcome the future, remembering that

CI$: 70262,3610    |   that was humanly possible."  -- George Santayana

2. no_block_write & Mach64 locks-up. fix?

3. Unix illiterate here

4. quick history find in bash

5. Are Linux people illiterate?

6. kde icons lost

7. Linux illiterate

8. SUMMARY: Modula-2 for Linux

9. "Mother" == "computer-illiterate"

10. My users are "illiterate!"

11. Complete reference of all unix syslog events

12. Need *complete* UNIX shell under Win NT

13. Where can I find complete UNIX domain sockets?