SYSLOG - problems under SunOS 4.1.3

Post by Espen Lynga » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

My SunOS 4.1.3 syslog only contains entries made by sendmail,
and lots of it. Every move sendmail does, it's reported in
syslog. However, the syslog contains NO other messages from ANY
other application. Most messages are sent to the console. Even
the things I've compiled myself specifying that the syslog
should be used...

I know I've seen something about this problem here before.

Anyone with an idea on where to start looking for clues to
solving this problem ?

Espen Lyngaas  -  It's hard to be humble when you're Norwegian!
Hostmaster/Postmaster/Ftpadm, On-line Systems Technician,
Team17 Software Ltd.
Phone: +44-1924-267776   URL: http://www.team17.com/~espen/

1. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

Hello,

        I have been investigating using syslog's logging facilities. I have
currently set up our network to log to a central logging host. In my
preliminary attempts, I have set up syslog to dump everything to a single file,
which gets messy. I've sorted out the files now, and I have noticed that
certain applications such as telnetd and ftpd write to the LOG_MAIL facility.
Is there
a way to alter the logging facility that they report to, or will I have to have
modified binaries to handle this? I'm mostly concerned with our AIX machines
but we also have HPUX, Sunos/Solaris, and OSF. I could very well have it dump
all
information and sort out the data based on rules I develop using
sed/awk/perl/grep (whatever), But it would be nicer if it were done by
syslog/programs writing to syslog.

        Also, is anyone familiar with any other logging utilities? I would be grateful
for some help/advice or some pointers to where to find this information.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. POP3 Server ?!?

3. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

4. Patch List Report Generator

5. SunOS 4.1.3- Syslog no longer logs

6. Apache

7. STL map problem on sunOS 5.7, not on sunOS 5.8

8. Are SCSI or non-SCSI Jaz/Zip/etc. better?

9. Syslog replay script for centralized syslog host

10. Syslog parser wanted to replace Kiwi Syslog (win32)

11. syslog.conf/syslog

12. Sending syslog messages to a remote syslog server

13. Syslog question - getting other hosts' syslog messages