Forward with inetd

Post by David Gro » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

we have some computers without an official IP number in our local network
and would like to access an Internet news server from these computers. I
tried to get our server (with Internet connection) to forward all connections
to his nntp-port to the news-server by putting the following line into the
inetd.conf:

nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /bin/telnet news 119
                                                                   ^^^^
                                           The news server we'd like to use

I changed the sources of telnet, such that it does not print messages like
"Connected to news" any more.
The news reader on our local computer can establish a connection to the
news server, but if I try to read the contents of a newsgroup I get the
error message "Group does not exist". Has anybody an idea what's wrong or
other suggestions how to solve this problem (besides installing a
complete news system  on our server)?

Thanks in advance,
                David

1. Q inetd/sockets: how to run my daemon from inetd???

Hi all,

I  wrote  this  really  insignificant program that listens on a port and
writes  a fortune message down the socket, and now I want to run it from
inetd.  So  I  made  entries in /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services and it
doesn't work.

The  problem  is I guess that I my daemon creates a socket and listen on
it,  then  accepts connections, does its thing and exits. However, inetd
is  listening  on  that  port and execl()'s my fortuned which then finds
the socket in use already and dies on a failed bind.

So  how  can  I  make it so that it knows which file descriptors it gets
from  inetd?  Or,  should  I  rather  have  it run in the background and
fork()  to serve every connection without ever exiting?

Bo.

--
        "Heisenberg may have been here".

2. Header files

3. multiple inetd spawning from an inetd

4. Linux & Terminal server & 10Base2

5. Restart inetd or reboot without using console...when inetd is dead

6. removing users from /etc/passwd, like gopher, operator, halt, shutdown, etc...

7. troubles with inetd / inetd.conf

8. Memory

9. mail forwarding problem with ".forward" file

10. mail forward problem in RH71 with procmail or .forward

11. SENDMAIL/.forward: Forwarding to programs

12. Slackware 1.2.13 .forward doesnt forward

13. ip-forwarding && dns-forwarding