Symbolic Links Wildcards?

Post by Be » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:22:27

Ive been trying to think of a way to to use wildcards while making
file links but cant get it to work.  I have several files in
/html/test/ and I want every file in that directory (hundreds of
images) to be symlinked here /html/test2 and doing it one file at a
time is a huge headache.  I was hoping I could just go to /html/test2/
and use ln -s path_to/test/* but its not doing it.  Is there anyway to
accomplish this without having to type out each and every one?  I
would love to find a way to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Symbolic Links Wildcards?

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:48:32

>Ive been trying to think of a way to to use wildcards while making
>file links but cant get it to work.  I have several files in
>/html/test/ and I want every file in that directory (hundreds of
>images) to be symlinked here /html/test2 and doing it one file at a
>time is a huge headache.  I was hoping I could just go to /html/test2/
>and use ln -s path_to/test/* but its not doing it.  Is there anyway to
>accomplish this without having to type out each and every one?  I
>would love to find a way to do this.

ln -s path_to/test/* .

When you specify a directory as the last argument to ln, it makes links in
that directory for all the other arguments.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

Symbolic Links Wildcards?

Post by Be » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:35:07

> >Ive been trying to think of a way to to use wildcards while making
> >file links but cant get it to work.  I have several files in
> >/html/test/ and I want every file in that directory (hundreds of
> >images) to be symlinked here /html/test2 and doing it one file at a
> >time is a huge headache.  I was hoping I could just go to /html/test2/
> >and use ln -s path_to/test/* but its not doing it.  Is there anyway to
> >accomplish this without having to type out each and every one?  I
> >would love to find a way to do this.

> ln -s path_to/test/* .

> When you specify a directory as the last argument to ln, it makes links in
> that directory for all the other arguments.

Thank You!  Thats a huge time saver.

Symbolic Links Wildcards?

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:04:10

>Thank You!  Thats a huge time saver.

Even compared to reading the man page?

SYNOPSIS
     /usr/bin/ln [-fns] source_file [target]
     /usr/bin/ln [-fns] source_file... target
     In the second synopsis form, the ln utility  creates  a  new
     directory  entry  for  each  file specified by a source_file
     operand, at a destination path  in  the  existing  directory
     named by target.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

Hello,

I'm fighting with a FreeBSD machine. Roughly what I'm up to: I clean
installed FreeBSD, with the DES option. The goal is to set up an Apache
on the machine. Then I performed a rdist from a BSDI machine, importing
stuff like password file, user directories, user quotas, shells. The
Apache works
just fine, but when I try to run Perl I get stuck with the error
message:
"Too many symbolic links" (under bash), "Symbolic link loop" (under sh).
I've
scanned through my symbolic links w/o finding something striking.
Basically, the
links I have are "shortcuts to shells", some links to user logs...
Anyone seen this kind of problem? Anyone solved it? How?

        Cheers

                Michael
--
Michael Hallgren, Easynet France
Write : http://www.loria.fr/tex

2. Getting Hold Of Linux

3. wildcard expansion and symbolic links (csh, sh, ksh, bash)

4. summary of login times and days of specific users

5. symbolic link not a real link

6. ATA on Linux

7. kill symbolic link along with the linked file?

8. x86 2.4 Locks Up When SCSI Tape Accessed

9. symbolic link not a real link

10. regular link of a symbolic link

11. A hard link or a symbolic link?

12. find: cannot follow symbolic link sym-link

13. symbolic link with flags on link?