need information on /etc/inittab's respawn

need information on /etc/inittab's respawn

Post by Robert Nicholso » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

OK my admin here told me that he spoke with his local hp CE and they told him
that a process that is marked respawn will constantly reattempt the respawn
when the process exits. I told him that I belived that if init sees that it's
respawning too quickly it will mark the entry in such a state that indicates
that init shouldn't attempt any further respawns. I assume when it's in this
state that the only thing that can make the init process attempt a respawn of
this entry is a force "init q". ie. init won't wake up later on and reattempt
later.

Which is it? How long will an inittab entry be marked to not be spawned when
inittab detects that it's respawning too quickly?

Post by jbon » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> OK my admin here told me that he spoke with his local hp CE and they
> told him
> that a process that is marked respawn will constantly reattempt the
> respawn
> when the process exits. I told him that I belived that if init sees
> that it's
> respawning too quickly it will mark the entry in such a state that
> indicates
> that init shouldn't attempt any further respawns. I assume when it's
> in this
> state that the only thing that can make the init process attempt a
> respawn of
> this entry is a force "init q". ie. init won't wake up later on and
> reattempt
> later.

> Which is it? How long will an inittab entry be marked to not be
> spawned when
> inittab detects that it's respawning too quickly?

   Its supposed to wait 5 minutes
Regards
Jay

Post by Dan A. Merc » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: OK my admin here told me that he spoke with his local hp CE and they told him
: that a process that is marked respawn will constantly reattempt the respawn
: when the process exits. I told him that I belived that if init sees that it's
: respawning too quickly it will mark the entry in such a state that indicates
: that init shouldn't attempt any further respawns. I assume when it's in this
: state that the only thing that can make the init process attempt a respawn of
: this entry is a force "init q". ie. init won't wake up later on and reattempt
: later.

: Which is it? How long will an inittab entry be marked to not be spawned when
: inittab detects that it's respawning too quickly?

man init(1m):

 DIAGNOSTICS
      If init finds that it is continuously respawning an entry from
      /etc/inittab more than 10 times in 2 minutes, it will assume that
      there is an error in the command string, generate an error message on
      the system console, and refuse to respawn this entry until either 5
      minutes has elapsed or it receives a signal from a user init
      (telinit).  This prevents init from eating up system resources when
      someone makes a typographical error in the inittab file or a program
      is removed that is referenced in the inittab.

--
Dan Mercer

1. Power surge - now can't read /etc/inittab and won't boot - help!

We had a big thunderstorm last night with neighboring parts of the power
grid going out, and with flickering lights at our house.  I quickly ran
a nice clean shutdown of my box.  When I tryied to boot today, it
wouldn't boot after going to look for inittab, getting harddrive error
messages (more on those later).  Eventually, it asked for my runlevel,
but no matter what I enter, it says nothing more to do in that level and
stops.  I pulled out my old slackware boot/root disks and mounted my
linux drive ro.  I could read everything, but when cd'd to /etc (well,
/mnt/etc) and ran ls, I got three of these messages:

hdd: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error
hdd: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1983776,
sector=1983713

Then it says ide0 times out, and I'm back to the prompt.  10 seconds or
so after I cd out of  /mnt/etc, I get this message on the console:

hdd: DRQerror: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }

hdd: DRQerror: error=0x00 { }

So obviously there's something screwed up on the part of my harddrive
holding /etc.

My first guess would be to run fsck.  However, this is not on the ram
disk.  This brings me to a more general question that I have had before
but never figured out -- There's files I can see on the mounted
partition, but I can't run them (even if I don't mount ro).  Even if I
copy them to the ramdisk, or even to a floppy, they can't be run, with
the error "fsck not found".  This happens even if I run ./fsck, or the
full path, or even if it is in the path as shown by `echo $PATH`.
Obviously I don't know mauch about what these ramdisks are doing.  I
haven't foud much in the way of explanation in any of y linux books,
either.  [Related question -- any suggestions for better recoverey disks
other than the slackware root/boot disks?]

So I'm at a loss.  My files are still there and readable from the ram
disk, so I haven't lost any critical data.  I also have realtively
recent full ftape backups through taper.  But I can't do anything to
actually get the real system running, and of course, I can't run taper
either.  How do I get fsck to run?  Will fsck solve this problem?

As you can see by reading this, I can boot into win95 OK; it is on a
separate drive (hda).  The drive with linux (hdd) is a 1 gig Western
Digital Caviar.

Please offer any and all suggestions.

Thanks

Jon Sundquist

2. purify in linux

3. Starting background programs in '/etc/inittab'...

4. logoff idle users

5. login problems after tinkering with/etc/inittab & /etc/uugetty.

6. How can I read and write to the parallel port?

7. hey need some help with /etc/inittab

8. a 'new' File Manager that is already 4-year old.

9. Help: need /etc/inittab !

10. /etc/getty and /etc/inittab woes

11. pppd respawning from inittab, is it ok?

12. Inittab (xdm) problem : server respawning too fast ???

13. LinuxPPC99: 'INIT: ld ''x'' respawning too fast...'??