A typo in the passwd file

Post by Ernesto Hern├índez-Novic » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello

> Do you want to know what I did?  I was changing root's shell in the
> passwd file manually (using vi) and I made a TYPO!!! Without realising
> my mistake, I saved my changes and now I can't login as root because the
> mispelt shell obviously does not exist.

> The machine is a Sun SPARC 20 running SunOS 5.5.  Is there an 'easy' way
> to fix this problem?? Well, at least easier than starting from scratch
> again.

If memory serves, there's a way to boot into single user from the
firmware prompt without asking for a password. However I'm not sure if
it will default to a /bin/sh.
Looks like you'll be starting from scratch :-)

--

Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker.
One thing is to be the most popular, and another is to be the best.

A typo in the passwd file

Post by Dominic Vorras » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello

Do you want to know what I did?  I was changing root's shell in the
passwd file manually (using vi) and I made a TYPO!!! Without realising
my mistake, I saved my changes and now I can't login as root because the
mispelt shell obviously does not exist.

The machine is a Sun SPARC 20 running SunOS 5.5.  Is there an 'easy' way
to fix this problem?? Well, at least easier than starting from scratch
again.

If you would be so nice as to cc my email aswell as respond in the
newsgoup, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
Dom

PS Yes, I know I am a*head.

A typo in the passwd file

Post by Pat Welc » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello

> Do you want to know what I did?  I was changing root's shell in the
> passwd file manually (using vi) and I made a TYPO!!! Without realising
> my mistake, I saved my changes and now I can't login as root because the
> mispelt shell obviously does not exist.

> The machine is a Sun SPARC 20 running SunOS 5.5.  Is there an 'easy' way
> to fix this problem?? Well, at least easier than starting from scratch
> again.

> If you would be so nice as to cc my email aswell as respond in the
> newsgoup, I would greatly appreciate it.

> Cheers
> Dom

> PS Yes, I know I am a*head.

Been there - done that <g>

try linking the typo'd name to the real shells name - I'm not familier
with Suns, but on SCO you could try:

ln /bin/ksh /bin/misspellsh

Your security system may barf, however.

You may have to boot from the original media and follow directions on
the Sun box for restoring a lost root password (same general idea as
your problem) if the above does not work for you.

Good luck.

Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
           A SCO Authorized Reseller
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122

A typo in the passwd file

Post by Matthew Brow » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

If you have a CDROM attached (or you can get one), boot from the install
CD.  Then you can ignore the installation and start command tool.  From
there, mount your root partition and edit the passwd file.

- Wade

> Hello

> Do you want to know what I did?  I was changing root's shell in the
> passwd file manually (using vi) and I made a TYPO!!! Without realising
> my mistake, I saved my changes and now I can't login as root because the
> mispelt shell obviously does not exist.

> The machine is a Sun SPARC 20 running SunOS 5.5.  Is there an 'easy' way
> to fix this problem?? Well, at least easier than starting from scratch
> again.

> If you would be so nice as to cc my email aswell as respond in the
> newsgoup, I would greatly appreciate it.

> Cheers
> Dom

> PS Yes, I know I am a*head.

A typo in the passwd file

Post by Daniel Zeped » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Linking the shell name probably won't do it, because you most likely have
to be root to do it. Catch 22. Anyway, just ftp into the machine as root and
transfer an updated passwd file. FTP doesn't care what shell root is
using. This'll teach you a lesson: *Always* telnet into your machine
(telnet 127.0.0.1) and login as root when fooling in the root account
*before* you close all the available shells first, that way if there is a
problem, you still have an open shell to fix the problem.

Later
Dan

> > Hello

> > Do you want to know what I did?  I was changing root's shell in the
> > passwd file manually (using vi) and I made a TYPO!!! Without realising
> > my mistake, I saved my changes and now I can't login as root because the
> > mispelt shell obviously does not exist.

> > The machine is a Sun SPARC 20 running SunOS 5.5.  Is there an 'easy' way
> > to fix this problem?? Well, at least easier than starting from scratch
> > again.

> > If you would be so nice as to cc my email aswell as respond in the
> > newsgoup, I would greatly appreciate it.

> > Cheers
> > Dom

> > PS Yes, I know I am a*head.

> Been there - done that <g>

> try linking the typo'd name to the real shells name - I'm not familier
> with Suns, but on SCO you could try:

> ln /bin/ksh /bin/misspellsh

> Your security system may barf, however.

> You may have to boot from the original media and follow directions on
> the Sun box for restoring a lost root password (same general idea as
> your problem) if the above does not work for you.

> Good luck.

> --
> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
>            A SCO Authorized Reseller
>            (209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
>            Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122

1. help: made a typo in passwd file, root now has no shell

hi

i was changing root's home directory and somehow made it so
it can't load a shell.  since i can't log in as root, i can't
fix the passwd file.  does anyone know how to fix this?

** TIP# 696            ** http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~jason**
**  "Yeah, I've said it before.....                          **
**            Light moves pretty fast.                       **
**                                     - unknown             **

2. Conner 420 streamer working under Linux ?

3. BSDi passwd file to Linux Passwd file

4. Need some help, how to write small application to access Linux loadable module

5. fatal typo in /etc/passwd???

6. Firewall

7. CVS passwd file not updated with passwd

8. DHCP Server for Sun?

9. master.passwd and passwd files transferred

10. patch to support non-/etc/passwd passwd files

11. Netscape plug-ins, helper files, Acrobat etc.

12. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

13. typo in password file