problems with Cron, crontab and FIFO

Post by Rico' » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When I run the cron command I'm displayed "cron aborted,
FIFO file exists" but when i look for the fifo file with my
text editor i just cannot find it

Post by Rainer Temm » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> When I run the cron command I'm displayed "cron aborted,
> FIFO file exists" but when i look for the fifo file with my
> text editor i just cannot find it

Hi Rico,

cron itself should not be started by a normal user.
The system will start and stop cron automatically.

Once cron is started, it might create some files "somewhere" (of corse
not in your local directory). If you try to start dron manually, this copy
of cron will notice, that these files are already existing, and therefore
a copy of cron is already running.

If you want to modify your crontab-entries, use "crontab -e"

Regards Rainer

PS: You cannot open a fifo-file with a normal editor like vi.

1. cron's fifo on mounted /var/spool/cron

I'm mounting the /var on my server machine, but this makes cron
abort because it seems to be using the fifo as a lock file.

Is there an easy way out of this?

machine: sparc ipc running sunos 4.1.1

Thanks,
Roger
--

                     |  Durham, NH  03824-3525
Why did the plane taking off from Warsaw crash?  | If you find this joke funny,
Too many poles in the right half of the plane.   | you're terminally geeky.

2. warm reboot?

3. cron/crontab problem

4. HP Toptools - Urgent!

5. Problems with cron / crontab

6. Hard drive problem

7. cron aborted: cannot stat fifo queue

8. IBM Patch Question

9. Newbie needs help with /etc/cron.d.FIFO

10. crontab problem: I can't run a java program via crontab

11. crontab entries generate error message; problem with ownership of crontab file?

12. fix to crontab problem ("no changes made to crontab")

13. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management