Keyboard input - please help...

Post by Alan Watkin » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Is there a command in unix that will scan the keyboard and return the
value of the key being pressed or null if nothing is being pressed?
please respond by e-mail...thanks.

Alan Watkins            CSC Undergrad-NCSU      www4.ncsu.edu/~awwatkin
Atari 2600 Collector    GM - WKNC 88.1 FM       Remove NOSPAM to reply

Keyboard input - please help...

Post by Doug Barne » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Is there a command in unix that will scan the keyboard and return the
> value of the key being pressed or null if nothing is being pressed?
> please respond by e-mail...thanks.

> Alan Watkins            CSC Undergrad-NCSU      www4.ncsu.edu/~awwatkin
> Atari 2600 Collector    GM - WKNC 88.1 FM       Remove NOSPAM to reply

C function call "getc" will do.  SHould be able to do it in < 10 lines
of code with some "crude" error checking.
--
Remove the NOSPAM to E-mail me.  Tired of the MLM schemes.

Keyboard input - please help...

Post by Allen Ashl » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>C function call "getc" will do.  SHould be able to do it in < 10 lines
>of code with some "crude" error checking.

I would be interested in seeing these 10 lines of code.

Keyboard input - please help...

Post by James Youngma » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

  Alan> Is there a command in unix that will scan the keyboard and
  Alan> return the value of the key being pressed or null if nothing
  Alan> is being pressed?  please respond by e-mail...thanks.

See the comp.unix.programmer FAQ.

1. please help with german keyboard setup on pismo/new input layer

Hi,

some time ago i switched to the new input layer. However, some things do
still not work properly on my pismo. I want a german keyboard layout,
ideally identical to the german keyboard layout in mac os. This is my setup
in XF86config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"

        Option "XkbModel"       "macintosh"
        Option "XkbLayout"      "de"
        Option "XkbKeycodes"    "powerpcps2"
EndSection

this almost works, except for that the arrow keys behave very strange: arrow
down actually seems to be carriage return, and the other arrow keys do
nothing. Also pg up/pg down is not working, neither are the function keys,
which makes it impossible to switch to the console.

Unfortunately I dont seem to understand the logic about all the xkb setup.
So maybe If somebody could point me to comprehensive source of information?

Has anyone got a german keyboard layout working for the console and the new
input layer? This doesnt work for me either: using mac-latin1-de.kmap I get
some strange PCish style keyboard layout with braces and brackets arranged
like on a PC.

Thanks a lot for any help on these topics!

Laurens

2. 2.0.30 buggy

3. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

4. smbutil problem

5. How does keyboard input transmit from keyboard of X Server to application?

6. mouseman no work with X part Deux

7. HELP: xftp refuses keyboard input

8. Compiling Ftape for a TC-15

9. Keyboard input crashes Slackware Setup- **HELP**

10. Help: nonblocking keyboard input

11. HELP: How to grab *all* console keyboard input?

12. Redirectin Keyboard input to /dev/ttyxx? Any help

13. Help: xdos 0.60.1 won't accept keyboard input !