How does one change file/dir attributes in UNIX?

How does one change file/dir attributes in UNIX?

Post by R1.. » Wed, 06 May 1992 08:48:46

Hello:  I am new to Unix and have a very baskic question (no manuals available)

What is the command to change attributes for files and directories?

Thanks for bearing up under such a basic question.

Post by Domenico De Vit » Thu, 07 May 1992 21:59:22

> Hello:  I am new to Unix and have a very baskic question (no manuals available)

> What is the command to change attributes for files and directories?

> Thanks for bearing up under such a basic question.

chmod

eg. chmod u=rwx myfile
allows the file "myfile" to be read/written/executed by the OWNER (u)

also try:

man chmod

for a more complex/complete explanation. you can do 'man' on all commands
eg.

man ls
man man

Enjoy.