HELP NEED on how to uncompress .tar.gz file

HELP NEED on how to uncompress .tar.gz file

Post by Jian Ba » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi, Everyone:

  I got a file which was double compressed: filename.tar.gz
  I know how to uncompress tar file but not gz file (uncompress is not
working).
  I'm working under HP-UX(9.5). Do I need some special tool
  to do it? and where I can get it?

  Any inputs are appreciated!

  Jian Bao

Post by James Ega » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, Everyone:

>   I got a file which was double compressed: filename.tar.gz
>   I know how to uncompress tar file but not gz file (uncompress is not
> working).
>   I'm working under HP-UX(9.5). Do I need some special tool
>   to do it? and where I can get it?

>   Any inputs are appreciated!

>   Jian Bao

You can get the "gzip" program from prep.ai.mit.edu in /pub/gnu.

/Jim/
--
James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

Post by Michael J. Murph » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, Everyone:

>   I got a file which was double compressed: filename.tar.gz
>   I know how to uncompress tar file but not gz file (uncompress is not
> working).
>   I'm working under HP-UX(9.5). Do I need some special tool
>   to do it? and where I can get it?

You need "gunzip" from gnu FSF. WINZIP will also decode this file
on a PC. I'm sure if you do an archie search you'll find it.

-murph

Post by Mahatma Kane-Jeev » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>   I got a file which was double compressed: filename.tar.gz I know
>   how to uncompress tar file but not gz file (uncompress is not >
>   working).

Any file with a .gz suffix is compressed with GNU gzip.  You can
uncompress it with gunzip or gzip -d (both available by ftp from the
GNU program archive at ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu), or if you have a recent
version of tar you can uncompress is automatically while untarring it
by giving tar the -z option (i.e. tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz).

BTW, a tar.gz suffix does NOT mean your file is "double compressed".
Tar just collects a bunch of files into one file; it does NOT, by
default, compress them.  (Tar is NOT like most DOS archivers like ZIP
and ARJ which both collect and compress files in one step.)  However,
because compression is such a common requirement, recent versions of
tar have support for gzip built-in.  See "man tar" for details.

                                        ---  mkj