Tape Backup

Post by Maryborough TAFE College Librar » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Howdy All

We are IT students in Queensland Australia, we are having trouble with our
UNIX system, below is the low down on the system:-

Machine:        MIPS RC3230
OS:             Beame & Whiteside UNIX software V 3.0c
OS Date:        1991

Our problem is that we are trying to perform a backup such that we can boot
from the SCSI tape in the machine and possible restore the sytem if the
need arises.  We have been trying the "dump.ffs" command to back up to the
tape, and all there seems hunky doory, but we do not know how to make the
tape bootable, we have looked through the volumes of manual that came with
the package but can only find kernel rebuilding information. Would one of
you kind "Gurus" be able to tell us a) is it possible; b) what are we doing
wrong; c) how to rectify our little dilema.

Thanking you in advance

Gary & Shane
PS:     You can e-mail me at the following address if you wish

Tape Backup

Post by Jim Denni » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[...]

        Most versions of Unix these days cannot be booted off
        of tape.  I don't know about your version specifically
        --- but I'm sure that the process would be more involved
        than simply 'dump'ing to a tape.

        First you'd probably have to have a special "mini-root"
        environment --- a way to boot without a  root fs or
        with a root fs on a 'ramdisk'  This would have to
        support 'restore' and probably 'mkfs' and 'fsck'
        and a shell of some sort.

        If you had such a mini-root image you'd probably dd
        it to the beginning of the tape.  You'd also have to
        look for firmware options that supported booting
        off a tape device (some versions of OF -- open firmware
        should be able to do this -- but I have no idea what
        sort of firmware your system supports).

        It is far more likely that your system can boot from
        CD, or even from floppy, and that these are the media
        that are intended to be used for filesystem recovery.

        The obvious first step would be to look in the docs provided
        by your hardware and OS vendors -- that would be too
        easy.  However, these are the concepts that apply to the
        older (pre-CD-ROM) workstations and minis.

--
Jim Dennis,
Starshine Technical Services            http://www.starshine.org

1. Solstice Backup 5.1 / DMO 2.1/Oracle 8.1.5: Tape backup failed : Need of 5.5 Upgrade ?

Hi,

we have the following installation:

Backup Server with

Solaris 2.5.1
Solstice Backup  Server 5.1

Backup client with

Solaris 2.6
Solstice backup Client 5.1

DMO (Database modules for Oracle) 2.1 with the last Patches, which
should give the possibility of scheduled backups

Oracle 8.1.5

Our Problem is:

we cant make a tape-backup with allocate ...'sbt_tape'  startet over
rman. backups to disk are running fine.

Starting a backup over nwadmin we get an error, because there is no
given a user.

Has anybody made a tape-backup from rman or nwadmin, without upgrading
to Solstice Backup 5.5?

TIA,

Nele

2. MATROX MGA MILLINIEUM

3. Star tape size for multi tape backups question

4. Help! Bizarre X problem with 2.0.17

5. Tape backups.. Erase tape first?

6. Filesystem spanning across disks.

7. tape backups, scsi tape drive?

8. Bad blocks and fsck?

9. Conner 4584 DAT tape backup with 12 tape Autoloader

10. Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape

11. ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup

12. ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup Question )

13. Pls help : tape to tape backup (re-sent)