resetting modem to default via shell commands

resetting modem to default via shell commands

Post by Gregg Shapi » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 01:46:49

Hi:

Does anyone know a way to reset a modem to its default values via executing
some shell commands ?  All I want to do the exact equivalent of
powering the modem off and on.

I know how to connect to the modem, and can reset via typing atz,
but I want to do this in one shell script or command.

Thanks,
Gregg
--
Gregg Shapiro
Emory University, Atlanta, GA

UUCP: { sun!sunatl, gatech }!emory!gshapiro

Post by John Pezza » Thu, 22 Sep 1994 03:59:12

: Hi:

: Does anyone know a way to reset a modem to its default values via executing
: some shell commands ?  All I want to do the exact equivalent of
: powering the modem off and on.

: I know how to connect to the modem, and can reset via typing atz,
: but I want to do this in one shell script or command.

: Thanks,
: Gregg
: --

There are numerous ways to do this. you can use a cu command to
communicate with port and pass commands. You can use kermit and a script
command. Or you can use a script as you wanted. Your script should have
an stty command to set parameters

myscript </dev/ttyxx  # hold port open for duration of script

Contents of myscript:

stty 9600 sane </dev/ttyxx
echo "ATZ" >/dev/ttyxx

Note there is no error checking. With kermit or cu script, you could
check for return OK.
--
                                 John  Pezzano, HP NARC

1. shell script to reset account passwords to a default

Need a script that when invoked (reset username) would su to root, run the
passwd script and enter a default password twice, then exit from root
(giving the person who invoked it no further access to root level).
I need this to allow a helpdesk person to reset passwords for people who
have forgotten theirs without logging in to root.
Can this be done safely (the helpdesk account being the only one that has
any priviledges on that script)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ogre

2. ipnat using 2 gateway

3. How to reset modem from command line?

4. to echo the tab character

5. Question: Commands to FTP a file via a shell script

6. irq handling code consolidation (common part)

7. making file in a shell script via cat command.

8. Which Linux cd to buy, please ?

9. How to open the mail composer of Evolution via shell command?

10. Uniconify via shell command

11. How do I resore minicom's default modem commands?

12. Talking to the modem via command line?!?!?!

13. how to send AT commands to modem via kermit