SOLUTION - xterm/telnet/TERMCAP/window size/editor problem

SOLUTION - xterm/telnet/TERMCAP/window size/editor problem

Post by Wayne Sco » Wed, 28 Sep 1994 00:31:11

Hi Folks:

        I posted a question last week, and I have a solution.
I received several replies.  The one that works best came from:

>Tobias Hoellrich
>Adobe Systems Europe, Amsterdam

By placing the following 1-liner in my .profile:

eval `resize`

(where resize could be in /usr/bin/X11 or /usr/openwin/bin)

the following problem is taken care of:

        I'm having a frustrating problem editing on one of our SUNs.
From my own SUN, I have no problems creating an xterm, telnet-ing,
and editing on an Alpha/OSF1, an RS/6000 AIX, and on a VAX/UNIX box.
But on this one SUN that I telnet to, the TERMCAP doesn't seem to be
right.  When I get into vi, it's off by a few lines.  I can't see the
first few, and doing ":set all" shows a "window" size about 5 greater
than my xterm window size.  The "more" command can't scroll properly
either.  I've been poking around the system and man pages, but I don't
have a clue yet as to how to solve this problem.  The person who has
it on his desk says emacs doesn't even work right locally.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

1. xterm/telnet/TERMCAP/window size/editor problem

Hi Folks:

        I'm having a frustrating problem editing on one of our SUNs.
From my own SUN, I have no problems creating an xterm, telnet-ing,
and editing on an Alpha/OSF1, an RS/6000 AIX, and on a VAX/UNIX box.
But on this one SUN that I telnet to, the TERMCAP doesn't seem to be
right.  When I get into vi, it's off by a few lines.  I can't see the
first few, and doing ":set all" shows a "window" size about 5 greater
than my xterm window size.  The "more" command can't scroll properly
either.  I've been poking around the system and man pages, but I don't
have a clue yet as to how to solve this problem.  The person who has
it on his desk says emacs doesn't even work right locally.
All helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Wayne

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

2. Solaris on PowerPC?

3. Solaris xterm, telnet to Linux box, terminfo/termcap

4. Keyword extraction by elimination

5. vi in SCO xterm window: how to size window

6. strange errors ... ar_rput_dlpi: DL_??? (7) failed, ...

7. Window/Font sizes in xterm

8. md device root partition possible?

9. CDE Question on size of XTERM window

10. termcap problem: no colors on xterm!!

11. Font size in xterm windows

12. How to force the size of a xterm window?

13. how to increase the buffer size of xterm window?