unix ftp and the like

Post by Adam Griff » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Okay. Got a few queries for the knowledgable...
I need a simple way to get listings of many dirs in one go. Is there a
command or switch for ls that would allow me to get:
list of all subdirs and subdirs of subdirs etc? what i mean is, how can i
get listing of ALL subdirs from a particular starting point.
Also, can i get listings that dont include filnames, only dirs.
Can i get a listing that only gives the total space used by files in that
dir?
Essentially, here is a diagram of what i want out of the ls command:
DIR
-SUBDIR1
 - TOTAL SPACE USED BY FILES IN SUBDIR1
-SUBDIR2
 - SPACE USED IN SUBDIR2
...etc...

Ontop of this of course would be subdirs of any subdirs and space used by
those dirs. Basically, start at given dir and go as deep as the subdirs
allow, returning info in a tree-like format.

Finally, i'd like all this information saved to a file, text format or
maybe in any format!

I know it all sounds a little confused, its hard to pur into words but i
hope someone gets the general idea.

If anyone can help me out id really appreciate it.

Otherwise post a reply.

Thankyou,
Fraggs.

1. Free unix-likes

 Abundance of free unix-like OS on the
net often makes choice difficult. Trying
out even the few most popular is unfearsible
as it takes quite a long time to discover
all pluses and minuses of any particular OS.
Home sites of most free OS carefully avoid
direct comparision to others.

 Is there a universal rating for free OS
in most important areas like IT, security,
productivity, internationalization etc.?

--
The next day is never so good as the day before.
 Publis Syrus 42 BC, Maxim 815.

2. ypserve cache problems?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Applixware vs Q4

5. rcp/ftp problems between OS5/Unix & Unix/Unix

6. Strange pagination...

7. WHer here Linux/Unix /Bash books on FTP on FTP?

8. RH 7.1 and Staroffice '64meg required on /'

9. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

10. CAN I FTP FILES FROM UNIX TO NOVELL SERVERS USING THE UNIX COMMAND LINE???

11. How do I FTP Between UNIX and NON UNIX operating systems

12. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

13. Will GNUtella kills off Yahoo and the likes?