Learning UNIX

Post by Chris Sarl » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  Several months ago, I became an assitant systems coordinator for our medical education
computing and most of my background is with PC's .

 I was recently notified that our HP UNIX system will become my resposibilty in the near future
and that I should start looking for some training. This system is primarily used for our medical
research databases and may soon become a WWW server on our internal network.

 What I am looking for is some information on classes, symposiums, seminars, or any other
type of training in UNIX. I would prefer them on the east coast/mid atlantic area.

  Thanks
      Chris

1. Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?

|Uh, there is none. ATT owns the trademark for Unix, so I suppose you had
|better get their unix. (Not that I would advise it.)

AT&T sold the trademark, with the rest of Unix Systems Labs, to Novell
in the early 90's.  Novell gave the trademark to X/Open (now part of
the Open Group) for use in defining UNIX standards, and then sold the
rest to SCO.

Officially, any OS that gets certified as meeting the standards set
forth by the Open Group can be called "UNIX(TM)" - currently that list
includes Solaris, AIX, Tru64 (aka Digital UNIX), IRIX, UnixWare, HP-UX,
and even IBM OS/390.

For full details see http://www.unix-systems.org/

2. Smooth Scroll on xterm

3. Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour?

4. OF: enet booting off a different card

5. Need a basic UNIX manual to learn UNIX usage, etc.

6. Capacity of EXAByte 8mm tapes?

7. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

8. prob with P60, AHA 1542CF, CONNER CFP1060S

9. VMS shell under Unix (was: Re: why learn UNIX)

10. Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?

11. learning Unix

12. Where to Learn Unix C Programming??

13. Learning Unix