Does uemacs really work ins SysV.2?

Post by i.. » Sun, 02 Sep 1990 21:28:00

Somehow my previous article read the wrong file and not the one
with my comments on the 'termio.c' source code.  The parts that
my Sys V.2 can't digest is the 'V7' block where struct tchars ...
and struct ltchars ... are specified.  'tchars' and 'ltchars'
are not understood by SysV.2. Furthermore, the 'V7' block with
'gtty' for saving old state and definig a new state etc is
completely unitelligible.  Things like TIOCGETC mach my 'cc'
get the hickups..  The rest will probably work but I'm not sure,
since my 'cc' dies with the message "Too many errors..."

----------------------------
Swedish Institute of Space Physics, Uppsala, Sweden

Post by William E. Davidsen » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 13:27:00

|Somehow my previous article read the wrong file and not the one
|with my comments on the 'termio.c' source code.  The parts that
|my Sys V.2 can't digest is the 'V7' block where struct tchars ...

I have compiled uemacs on the following SysV based systems without
problems: UNICOS (Cray2), Xenix (AT), Release 3.0 and 3.5 for AT&T
unix-pc (68010 based), Microport UNIX (AT), and Simultask (AT&T 6300+).

I seriously believe that either you didn't configure the header file
correctly or that your UNIX is broken. I don't think you will find
anyone to send you "a working version of the code." Most of these
machines have gone from 3.7i -> 3.if -> 3.8i -> 3.9, although some have
skipped versions.

Hope this helps you identify the problem.

Post by Stellan Bergm » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 05:07:00

>I have compiled uemacs on the following SysV based systems without
>problems: UNICOS (Cray2), Xenix (AT), Release 3.0 and 3.5 for AT&T
>unix-pc (68010 based), Microport UNIX (AT), and Simultask (AT&T 6300+).

>I seriously believe that either you didn't configure the header file
>correctly or that your UNIX is broken. I don't think you will find

I have found the reason: We had uemacs 2.0 and apparently that
version was never intended to work in SysV.2.  Several people have
told me that uemacs 3.7 (and later versions) do work and there is
even people who are kind enough to offer me a copy that works on
the same machines (HP9000 series) that we have.  It's still
in the mail, though...

(By the way we never got our uemacs 2.0 to compile properly on an
IBM/PC clone even though we tried several different C compilers...)

Thank you for all info (and encouragement)

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Does uemacs really work ins SysV.2?
Expires:

>|Somehow my previous article read the wrong file and not the one
>|with my comments on the 'termio.c' source code.  The parts that
>|my Sys V.2 can't digest is the 'V7' block where struct tchars ...

>I have compiled uemacs on the following SysV based systems without
>problems: UNICOS (Cray2), Xenix (AT), Release 3.0 and 3.5 for AT&T
>unix-pc (68010 based), Microport UNIX (AT), and Simultask (AT&T 6300+).

>I seriously believe that either you didn't configure the header file
>correctly or that your UNIX is broken. I don't think you will find
>anyone to send you "a working version of the code." Most of these
>machines have gone from 3.7i -> 3.if -> 3.8i -> 3.9, although some have
>skipped versions.

>Hope this helps you identify the problem.
>--

>  {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Expires: