File system performance, Shortest Seek vs First Come first served

File system performance, Shortest Seek vs First Come first served

Post by Chris Pugmir » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I'd like to know if linux/solaris use Shortest Seek or First
come first served when multiple seek operations are pending for
a device.  And can one change the default.

I have an application where Shortest Seek or a variant of it would
give much better results and my current figures suggest FCFS is
currently used, so I'd like to know if there is a
file system or device driver I can install that will change this.

      Thanks in advance,   ChrisP.

group.

1. Which drive to load first or which comes first the chicken or the egg!

Hi Folks;

Sorry for asking, for what I'm sure is the umpteenth time, but here's my
situation.

I have a system with (2) SCSI drives coming off an Adaptec AHA 2940 UW.  At
present, drive (1) is drive 00 which is a 4.3 gig  Seagate.  Drive (2) is
drive 01 and is a 1 gig Seagate.  I am going to install the new Corel
WordPerfect 2000 for Linux as soon as it arrives.  I must also install Win2K
Pro for our Accounting & AutoCAD software.

Question?

A- Should I install Linux first and if so should I assume I should install
it on drive (1)?

B- If I install Linux on (1) drive, should I install Win2K on drive (2) or
on drive (1)?

I intend to use Linux as our main system using Windoze only to support
software in which I cannot, at this time, replace with a Linux compatible.

Thanks in Advance,

Dennis, WI

2. Web site containing info on "famous" www security breaches???

3. FREE Slackware CDROMs - First Come, First Served

4. big ftp problem

5. First Come First Serve ?

6. Any word on Tyan Thunder 100 MB?

7. How ? One file <----> One file descriptor

8. Modem Problem

9. STYLE: better to have one-file-many-functions or many-files-holding-one-function

10. How ? One file <----> One file descriptor

11. Modify the scheduler to manage shortest-job first

12. Radio shortest path first protocol ???

13. Dual Hard drive -VS- One Partitioned one!!!