user question about user

Post by Steve » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:39:00

When I installed FreeBSD a while back I added a user, I think I used the
the install interface to add it. I can use the system with this username
and password. Now I'm trying to find where this user and password is
stored in the system. I was expecting to find it in /etc/master.passwd
but it is not listed there. Where else could it be stored? I also looked
in /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db. I am not an experienced user so..

Thanks,

Steven

--

user question about user

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:37:27

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:39:00 +0200,

Quote:> When I installed FreeBSD a while back I added a user, I think I used the
> the install interface to add it. I can use the system with this username
> and password. Now I'm trying to find where this user and password is
> stored in the system. I was expecting to find it in /etc/master.passwd
> but it is not listed there. Where else could it be stored? I also looked
> in /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db. I am not an experienced user so..

Do you mean the user name is not there, or the password?  Have you looked in
/etc/shadow?  Try the command "apropos password".

user question about user

Post by Steve » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:15:50

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:39:00 +0200,

>> When I installed FreeBSD a while back I added a user, I think I used the
>> the install interface to add it. I can use the system with this username
>> and password. Now I'm trying to find where this user and password is
>> stored in the system. I was expecting to find it in /etc/master.passwd
>> but it is not listed there. Where else could it be stored? I also looked
>> in /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db. I am not an experienced user so..

> Do you mean the user name is not there, or the password?

There's no such user listed.

Quote:> Have you looked in /etc/shadow?

No such file or directory.

Quote:> Try the command "apropos password".

This would tell me about commands that have to do with password, right?
I don't see how it tells me where the user/password is stored or why it
is not stored in master.passwd

Steven

--

user question about user

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:12:55

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:15:50 +0200,

Quote:

>> Try the command "apropos password".

> This would tell me about commands that have to do with password, right?
> I don't see how it tells me where the user/password is stored or why it
> is not stored in master.passwd

> Steven

The passwd(1) man page should list the files used by the passwd command.

user question about user

Post by Steve » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:05:21

> The passwd(1) man page should list the files used by the passwd command.

The man pages only mention these:

     /etc/master.passwd  The user database
     /etc/passwd         A Version 7 format password file
     /etc/passwd.XXXXXX  Temporary copy of the password file
     /etc/login.conf     Login class capabilities database
     /etc/auth.conf      configure authentication services

Non of these contain the username I am logged in with. Puzzled...

Steven

--

user question about user

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:55:59

in comp.unix.questions i read:

Quote:>When I installed FreeBSD a while back I added a user, I think I used the
>the install interface to add it. I can use the system with this username
>and password. Now I'm trying to find where this user and password is
>stored in the system. I was expecting to find it in /etc/master.passwd
>but it is not listed there. Where else could it be stored? I also looked
>in /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db. I am not an experienced user so..

it depends on just how you installed your system.  (note: there are better
forums for freebsd questions, and if you should decide to post there please
do them the favor of saying which version you installed and what options
you selected.)  does ``ypcat passwd'' reveal the username?  perhaps you
installed an ldap based system, though i can't say i remember that being an
option in freebsd.

1. how to user C language to convert a known user id to a user name

Hi Everyone,

I am writing a progam that can find information for a file by using
stat() func. Although I can get user id and group id from this
function.I am trying to find if there's a function in C that can help
convert a known user id to a user name in Linux OS?And how to convert
a known group id to the group name? If there is no such a function,
can I write one and how to do it?
Thanks a lot!

David

2. source for ps command

3. PROBLEM: cd ~user results in "user: Unknown user"

4. Firewalling: Tools for logging traffic stats needed

5. Autoconf 2.4 released

6. User as /user/ instead of /~user/ ?

7. Old ethernet card problem

8. user user mailbox doesn't exist; how do I create?

9. Linux user count passes 2000 users

10. ppp-user - Users can handle PPP easily

11. Apache: Having "/home/user/ do the same as ~user

12. need to restrict users doing a su to a selected group of users