Uploading a text file using telnet?

Post by Thomas Blauve » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I hope this isn't too far off topic:

Does any one know of a way to upload an ASCII text file TO a UNIX host using
telnet?

We have an application running on our host (Sun OS 4.1.3) which takes its
input from the user in the form of text, line by line. Up to now, users have
been dialing into the host, starting the application program and using the
ASCII file transfer function built into communications software such a
Procomm (one presses the <PAGE UP> key to start the transfer.)
The application processes each line up to our end of file character,
Control-K.

With more and more of our users having access to the Internet many of
them would like to connect via the Internet instead of dialing in.

Is there a telnet (or some such) program that runs on a PC that would
allow us to do that? Jianqing Hu's Simpterm program, for example, allows
downloads but not uploads.

By the way, cutting and pasting from another application are out; we need
something more foolproof than that.

Thanks.

Thomas Blauvelt         North Country Reference & Research Resources Council

Post by Vladimirdo » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

wrote in comp.unix.questions:

    Does any one know of a way to upload an ASCII text file TO a UNIX host using
    telnet?

        I am not sure if this is what you're looking for, but FTP clients
usually seem to do the trick.

                -vlad.

--

Yale College '99         (finger for summer contact info)
Opinions expressed are not necessarily my own.

1. Upload files w/ SSL session using script file?

FIRST I need to compress an entire directory into one file,
THEN send this compressed file to the Netscape server
with SSL session.  I need to automate both steps
and run them periodically (using a batch/script file).

The FIRST step can be easily automated by writing a
simple script using command-line "tar" or "pkzip".
The SECOND step is what I'm having difficulty with.
since I cannot control the Netscape browser from
a batch/script file, I am out of luck with the web browser
approach.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
I really appreciate any response and help.

Todd Lee

2. no eth0 detect after kernel rebuild

3. need to upload text file to internet server from SCO Unix, newbie question

4. SCSI tape module problem

5. ^M 's in uploaded text files.

6. Slow KDE

7. Telnet: is there a way of editing JOT files using telnet on a win95 system.

8. How do I avoid time output

9. Uploading files with telnet?

10. File locking text file in linux using C

11. Copy files using filenames from text files with shell script or bash script

12. Adding text to the top of a file without using temporary files

13. MS-window text file viewer to read a text file in SCO server.