NFS mount (non-root)

Post by Ami Fischm » Fri, 20 May 1994 11:09:44

Here at school we have about 6 SPARC's running 4.1.3, and serving the math
undergrads.  Each of these machines has a /tmp directory, which is writeable
be all, and from files are purged every so eften to save space (there is a
quota system on our home directories).  Each user can log in to any of these
servers, and his/her home directory is automatically mounted via NFS, so one
doesn't have to worry about the location of one's files.

My problem is that if I have a file named /tmp/rep.1, say, on  machine 1,
and then log into machine 2, and I need to either ftp it, or do an rlogin to
machine 1 in order to access it.  Is there any way that I (as non-root) can
mount a directory (say: machine1:/tmp/a540ami) onto a subdirectory in my
home dir.?  I've mounted to do a symbolic link from ~/tmp -> /tmp/a540ami,
but this of course fails if I'm logged into the wrong machine...

Thanks in advance for any help.  Please e-mail and I'll post a summary if
there's a demand (which I highly doubt...;).

--
                                        --Ami
                                          Have YOU hugged YOUR smurf today?

1. How do I share NFS mounted CD with non-root users?

I'm trying to set up my Linux box as a network server so that I can share a
CD drive with other users, both under NFS and under Samba.  When I mount the
CD, the permissions are changed so that only root can access that mount.  How
can I get the CD to be visible to all other users?  I've tried using chmod to
change the permissions after mounting the CD, but that doesn't work.

2. HOW TO SET INSTALL XFree86 3.3.3 ?

3. Non-root users and mounting NFS file systems

4. netatalk and printtool on redhat 6.2

5. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

6. where to install kernel sources

7. Non root mounts NFS

8. Linux/m68k Registration Site

9. mounting /dev/cdrom from non-root user?

10. how to mount floppy as non-root user?

11. non-root to mount floppies as rw

12. Cannot Mount floppy as Non-root User

13. Non-root mounting, unmounting devices