Making "less" act like "more"

Post by f.. » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there a way to get "less" to tell me what percentage of a long
file I've looked at to the current viewing point (like more, with the
number of lines total versus the currently viewed line number)?
Also, is there a reason why line numbering toggle doesn't work?
I'm piping data from stdin.

Thanks.

--
Fred
Fred Ma

613-768-2096

The contents of this email are Nortel Networks confidential

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Making "less" act like "more"

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

>Is there a way to get "less" to tell me what percentage of a long
>file I've looked at to the current viewing point (like more, with the
>number of lines total versus the currently viewed line number)?

RTFM.  From the less(1) man page:

     -m   Causes less to prompt verbosely (like more),  with  the
          percent into the file.  By default, less prompts with a
          colon.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA