'more'-like util for MS-DOS?

Post by Jay B. Park » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 06:38:29

Sorry if this isn't the best place to put this... my site doesn't carry
any of the groups that sounded more applicable...

Self-explanatory title... is there a good util for DOS that performs
similarly to the UNIX 'more' command?  I'm getting so tired of 'type
foo.bar | more'.  I tried to archie 'more,' but I didn't get anything
that looked like it might work under DOS...

Thanks for your help... feel free to reply by email.

--

 NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation
"But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep."-Frost

'more'-like util for MS-DOS?

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 07:48:33

 >Sorry if this isn't the best place to put this... my site doesn't carry
 >any of the groups that sounded more applicable...

 >Self-explanatory title... is there a good util for DOS that performs
 >similarly to the UNIX 'more' command?  I'm getting so tired of 'type
 >foo.bar | more'.  I tried to archie 'more,' but I didn't get anything
 >that looked like it might work under DOS...

 >Thanks for your help... feel free to reply by email.

 >--

 > NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation
 >"But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep."-Frost

If you are nearly happy with dos more, then you can redirect a file to it:

more < foo.bar      (much less typing).

If you want something that is a lot more flexible than UNIX more, get list,
which is one of the most indispensable DOS utils.  It even does hex output,
8th bit filtering, backspace filtering, all sorts of neat stuff.  It used to
be a shareware product.  I am using one that is several years old.  Borland
products come with a program named readme.com that seems to be an old
version of list.com, but that pages a file named readme if no filename is
given on the command line.

There is even a DOS port of less.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and  modem   maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

'more'-like util for MS-DOS?

Post by Thomas Pf » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 01:26:31

I don't remember where but I picked up a copy of less for DOS.  Since I'm
used to typing 'more' but not used to typing '<', it comes in real handy.
I access it via a doskey macro (doskey more=less $*).

This could probably be found on the normal DOS ftp sites in a filutl
directory.
--
tom_p                           | I could get a new lease on life

compuserve: 73303,1136          | and last month in advance.

'more'-like util for MS-DOS?

Post by Jay B. Park » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 05:08:40

Thanks to all who responded... less for DOS is just what I needed...
-Jay

--

 NSF Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation
"But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep."-Frost

1. 'freq' util for Stealth core dumps under SLS 1.03

Under the SLS release prior to 1.03, which used the 0.99p9 kernel,
I had X working perfectly with my Diamond Stealth VGA.  I used the XS3-0.4.4
server and 'freq' (found in diamond.taz at sunsite.unc.edu
/pub/Linux/X11/X-servers) to set the clock.

I upgraded to SLS 1.03, and re-installed XS3-0.4.4, and everything still works
fine, except for 'freq'.  It core dumps, apparently when the utility
attempts to access the video card registers.  Why?  And how can this
be fixed?

Dave...

2. Recursive grep

3. corupt 'mount' util.

4. VNC

5. 'md' Disk Striping util-- anyone using w/ 1.3.X?

6. Help!!! POP stopped working!!

7. bootable floppy 'emergency' restore util?

8. Mounting FAT32 partition

9. 'freq' util for Stealth core dumps

10. Linux 'make' util...

11. Linux 'fdisk' and MS-DOS

12. mars_nwe only likes ms-dos, no win95

13. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?