LAT questions

Post by Dumon » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

My company has set up multiple DEC terminal servers that we connect to via LAT.
Are there any simple tools out there that will allow me to connect to these
terminal server ports via unix. Many of these are connected to outbound phone
lines and I just want the ability to do a basic atdt to confirm that the phone
is connected correctly. I can connect to these machines via VMS but I am trying
to easily do it using UNIX (DEC version 3.2xx).

Thanks

1. LAT licensing (yes, again - sorry) (was: LAT communication library)

I've crossposted comp.os.linux.networking and comp.lang.mumps as this
comes up often in both camps.  I believe we may all be the victims of
a deception.

I encourage everyone to read the (most recent? 1992!) press-release on
the subject from the licensing agents (Meridian) very carefully.  In
particular note that where it contains the sentence "LAT licensees
acquire the legal right to use this patented intellectual property"
the pronoun "this" does not appear to refer to anything.

http://www.meridiantc.com/pr_mtc_dec3yr.html

I agree when you first read it it appears to say that you need to have
a license to develop LAT software.  On closer inspection it appears to
be deliberately crafted to give the impression that licensing is
mandatory without actually comming straight out and saying so.  I
suspect therefore that licensing is not mandatory (as I believe it
can't be under US anti-trust law).  DEC/Meridian could not claim that
licensing is mandatory without breaking the law but are happy for the
rumour to be spread on their behalf.

Any lawyers out there?  What do you think?

(I have, of course, asked Meridian about this but I don't expect a
straight answer).

One thing at least is clear - that these people have a strong sense of
irony, how else can we explain the statement: "The LAT program gives
further evidence of Digital's commitment to open standards. The goal
of the program is to make LAT technology accessible to the entire
networking community."

2. SCSI Tape Recommendation???

3. LAT for linux

4. syslog: /dev/console doesn't work???

5. RedHat5.1, Dell Lat CPi, 3c575 - linux "sees" memory card not net card

6. ODT 2.0 Installation

7. LAT drivers needed for AT&T 3B1000

8. fflush(stdin) ???

9. lat/modem connect problem with OSF/1

10. LAT for Linux?

11. Dell Lat 366 and sound

12. Possible? Linux -> Dec LAT -> TCPIP

13. Want LAT protocol for Solaris v2.3/2.4