Setting up proxies?

Post by Paul M. Lambe » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 18:03:06

I'm a little clueless about this, and can't find an answer anywhere...

My organization is about to get an internal ethernet network, which we're
quite e*d about.

The problem is this: we are unable to get a connection to the "real world"
other than a single SLIP line w/28.8Kbaud modem on a Linux (UN*X) box.

We want to give our users access to services like email (they all have
POP3 accounts at the other end of that SLIP line), WWW, ftp, gopher, news,
and so forth.  But we're limited by the SLIP connection: I'm looking for a
solution.

The ideal thing (and as I understand, impossible one as well) would be
some kind of gateway software so each person could use their own clients
on their own machines with no special work needed other than configuring
the software on the Linux box and letting them loose.  I doubt we can do
this, but if it's possible, please tell me!

Second best would be some kind of special "bouncing" software; I've heard
the term "proxy" used, and it feels like a solution, but I don't know
enough to have a clue.  If someone could slip me a clue or two, I'd
appreciate it.  As I understand, this'd work like this: from my machine I
ftp to "linuxbox.myorg.mynet" with username "ftp.somewhere.outside" and

give me access to the real world.  Is it possible to make a proxy
connection with other services?  It would require a special server for
each service we support, so it might result in a heavier load, but with a
modem connection, just how busy could it get?

Third best, we'll give accounts out on the Linux box, and set up the X
server on it.  Then people can connect with an X client and use software
on the Linux machine.  It would be convenient to support all the software
in one location, but that could result in heavy loads at times (we expect
to have peaks of maybe 5-10 people checking their POP mail at the same
time 1-2 ftp transfers are going on--it's probably too extreme an
estimate, but we want to err on the conservative side if possible...)  It
would also be inconvenient as everyone would have to learn new software
(they all currently have SLIP or PPP connections individually, but we
can't maintain that many phone lines.)

PLEASE, if you have any suggestions or pointers to places to look for
information, let me know...

--Paul Lambert

--

Wer schweigt macht sich auch schuldig.