Complete Unix Illiterate

Post by Eric S. Smi » Sat, 31 Aug 1991 00:17:19

>> Well, I have finally gotten deep enough into Cincinnati
>> Computer Connection that I've figured out how to post messages
>> to Usenet news groups.
>Too bad.
>> I'm also trying to find out
>> as much as possible about Usenet and Unix.
>Did it ever occur to you that, of your friends and acquaintances, there
>might be someone, maybe just one person, who would explain these things
>to you if you bothered to ask? Did you really think that your ignorance
>is a newsworthy fact?
>Is it any surprise that the experts turn away, while the local hecklers
>put the novice in his place? Should the novice be angry to be told that
>if he doesn't yet know the extent of his ignorance, he should learn how
>to listen instead of how to scream?

All I can say is, welcome to Usenet.

And Dan, I hope people are more forgiving of you when you're trying to learn
something and are asking for assistance.

-----
Eric Smith         |  "We must welcome the future, remembering that

CI$: 70262,3610    |   that was humanly possible."  -- George Santayana

1. Complete Unix Illiterate

Well, I have finally gotten deep enough into Cincinnati
Computer Connection that I've figured out how to post messages
to Usenet news groups.  I'm also trying to find out
as much as possible about Usenet and Unix.  I accidentally
discovered it in the following manner --
I am a user of the Tri-State Online system.  Recently they
got a Teleport to Cleveland Freenet.  Cleveland Freenet
has access to quite a few Usenet groups, but I've seen
mention of some even more interesting ones.  I've heard
about "software" for the PC to allow a person to go
into a "Unix site" and download newsgroups and so forth
... from one person I heard that this software was called
UUCP.  So far I haven't any definitive information on
the subject.  I'm also finding out that Usenet comes
from no single source and, from what I've been able to tell,
no single place carries all the news groups.
   Question ... is there an INDEX of all the newsgroups and
the systems that carry them so that I can figure out what
it is that I'm the most interested in and then hunt
them down???  Thanks!
     John

     (513) 541-3078

2. vmware2

3. Unix illiterate here

4. PPP alias

5. Are Linux people illiterate?

6. Shapecfg and throttling

7. Linux illiterate

8. Number Key Pad on the IBM machines

9. "Mother" == "computer-illiterate"

10. My users are "illiterate!"

11. Complete reference of all unix syslog events

12. Need *complete* UNIX shell under Win NT

13. Where can I find complete UNIX domain sockets?