How Can I control program execution in script shell ?

How Can I control program execution in script shell ?

Post by Walter Brivi » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

In a script shell (sh) I need:
1) to start a program in foreground or background

2) to start a program in foreground or in background at specified time

3) Suspend a program, previously started, from  different session.

4) Restart a program, previously suspended, from different session.

5) View, from different session, the program activated by the current user,
with the program name.

1. How Can I control program execution in script shell ?

Other people have answered the first part of your message.
I just wanted to add a possibility for:

There are utilities that let you see what someone is doing.
Our company wrote (and sells) a package called PEEK that lets
you see what someone is doing, and lets you type on behalf of
that user.  It is scriptable.  This may be overkill for what
you are trying to do, but it's hard to say without knowing the
application.  If you'd like email'd details on peek, just send

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |

2. hostid change?

3. rpm -Fvh *.rpm (but for Mac OS 9.x ...)

4. readline.h & tilde.h

5. Shell script hangs at execution of Java program...

6. DLT tape drive

7. Waiting on end of program execution from shell script?

8. Execution of SQL Script thru shell script

9. controlling ftp process from a shell script or program

10. cputime controlled program execution

11. Help for script with programs controlling other programs needed