Need help with DNS -> ftp,telnet,etc not using

Need help with DNS -> ftp,telnet,etc not using

Post by Steven Cart » Fri, 10 Jun 1994 03:59:58

        I'm using SunOS4.1.3 on a SPARC station.  I have set up the
Domain Name Service whith the help of the manuals.  I used nslookup
to test it and it works like a top.   But, ftp, telnet and ping keep
telling me that the host is unknown.  They seem to only recognize
the hosts in the /etc/hosts file.  The commands work fine with an
IP address, but it's not pratical.

        I would apreciate any help anyone can offer.

                Thanx,
                        Steve
     _________
    /____|____\      Steven Carter
   /___________\     Applied Silicon Inc. Canada
   \     |     /     (613) 738-2434 Ext. 266

     \   |
      \  |
       \ | /
        \|/

Post by Robert McC » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 00:54:17

>    I'm using SunOS4.1.3 on a SPARC station.  I have set up the
>Domain Name Service whith the help of the manuals.  I used nslookup
>to test it and it works like a top.   But, ftp, telnet and ping keep
>telling me that the host is unknown.  They seem to only recognize
>the hosts in the /etc/hosts file.  The commands work fine with an
>IP address, but it's not pratical.

What does your /etc/resolv.conf say?  You may have to delete this file
on the nameserver itself -or- make sure it points to itself as the
first nameserver with an entry like "nameserver 127.0.0.1".  Bob.

1. Delay on initial access server ftp, http and telnet, etc - NOT usual reverse dns problem

I'm going to be a bit wordy here, because this is truly weird.

My understanding is that if there is no reverse DNS lookup for
something, and reverse dns lookups are on for a server in general,
there's a big delay while things time out.

If that's the case (there's no DNS entry for the client, as might be
the case on a LAN) then you whack the client into the hosts file, and
make sure that the search order is "hosts, then dns" so that it's
found there and things proceed apace, thusly, without DNS ever being
consulted:

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX    domain.sfx yadda

I've got a situation where I've got a host elsewhere on our ISP's DSL
network, not on our LAN (it was on our LAN, but it's been moved...
worked great on our lan with nothing but the appropriate hosts
entries). In the server machine's etc/hosts file, is our WAN IP, in
the form shown above. Likewise, on my machine, I've got that server's
IP and domain name in my local hosts file (win98). I can see the
lookup of the remote server happen instantly - explorer reports it is
attempting to connect to the right IP, there's no delay. The delay
appears to be at the other end.

The search order on the remote server machine is hosts, then dns.

Yet, when I try to get to it, there is a huge delay initially, such
that telnet and ftp will time out, but a couple of attempts with http
to the root domain will, eventually, get the web index page. Once
that's done, telnet and ftp run fine, as does http. fast connections,
no timeouts. If you leave them alone for a while, no activity on any
service, the delay returns, as if there's something being cached
somewhere on the server that lets the incoming machine (me) access
stuff, then being expired. As far as I know, there's no local DNS
running on the machine - it uses our ISP's dns. There is a hardware
firewall in a router between the remote server and the WAN, but it is
set to pass all the appropriate ports, and it knows about the ISP's
DNS as well.

Now, I should add that I'm hitting this machine from a win98 system,
but as I understand it, it all works the same (it certainly seemed to
work fine when we had the machine on our LAN!)

Also, the machine I'm on does have a "real" dns entry out on the WAN,
maintained by our ISP - I only put us in the hosts file on the remote
server because the delay was driving me up a wall, and I thought the
DNS lookup was just slow - that wasn't it, though, because it's STILL
piggy as heck.

Running Red hat 6 for the server.

Anyone? Any ideas? I'm getting a headache... :(

Walt
Software Engineer
Black Belt Systems
http://www.blackbeltsystems.com/

2. AUDIT: client 8 rejected from IP <ip> port <port> ????

3. !! Help needed using telnet or ftp to get in!!

4. (Q) Lesstif, anyone?

5. Help needed for using FTP or TELNET

6. Graphical X Interface (GNOME)

7. FTP or Telnet using specified eth0 etc

8. Mosaic oddities

9. Network freezes when using telnet/ftp etc

10. telnet, rlogin, ftp .. etc not working

11. Telnet, ftp, etc not enabled

12. How to not allow certain users ftp/telnet etc...permissions?

13. SLIP under NET-2: I can ping server, but not telnet/ftp/etc.