best BBS file xfer protocol from a UNIX workstation

best BBS file xfer protocol from a UNIX workstation

Post by Kevin Carothe » Sat, 13 Jun 1992 00:00:44

I would like to be able to log on to a BBS from a UNIX workstation and
upload and download. I can do this from KERMIT with absolutely no
problem, except that the troughput is so slow.

I would like to be able to use zmodem, so I have explored using a
program called modemX, but the price is prohibitive (~$500.00).

I have tried using the public domain version of zmodem, but have found
termio exclusive use problems between the two.

Has anone out there explored this scenario and come up with a
solution?  Many thanks in advance for any answers.

--
Kevin Carothers   {psivax,philabs,retix,quad1}!ttidca!kevin

Post by J. Steven Harris » Sun, 14 Jun 1992 01:45:15

>I would like to be able to log on to a BBS from a UNIX workstation and
>upload and download. I can do this from KERMIT with absolutely no
>problem, except that the troughput is so slow.

>Has anone out there explored this scenario and come up with a
>solution?  Many thanks in advance for any answers.

Have you looked into Procomm for UNIX?

It seems to work quite well and is public domain.

Post by william E Davids » Wed, 17 Jun 1992 22:34:23

|> >I would like to be able to log on to a BBS from a UNIX workstation and
|> >upload and download. I can do this from KERMIT with absolutely no
|> >problem, except that the troughput is so slow.

You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the
windowing protocol and should deliver 90-95% of full line speed. Of
course if the system is loaded to death, nothing will help. [XYZ]modem
are available, also.
--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345
        Recession: your friend loses his job

Post by Ed Ca » Thu, 18 Jun 1992 02:51:44

>You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the
>windowing protocol and should deliver 90-95% of full line speed. Of
>course if the system is loaded to death, nothing will help. [XYZ]modem
>are available, also.

Kermit and XMODEM will deliver 90%+ of full line speed only when running
at 2400 baud or less.  At 9600 and 19200 baud, throughput is absymal.
I'd recommend using ZMODEM for high-speed transfers - at 9600 baud, it
uses 1024 byte packets, which is MUCH more efficient than Kermit's
90-94 byte packets, or XMODEM's 128.  I can push a 19200 baud line at
95%+ using ZMODEM.
--

** Member, Linux port team - uucp division ** :)

Post by steve woott » Thu, 18 Jun 1992 12:15:21

>>You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the
>>windowing protocol and should deliver 90-95% of full line speed. Of
>>course if the system is loaded to death, nothing will help. [XYZ]modem
>>are available, also.

>Kermit and XMODEM will deliver 90%+ of full line speed only when running
>at 2400 baud or less.  At 9600 and 19200 baud, throughput is absymal.
>I'd recommend using ZMODEM for high-speed transfers - at 9600 baud, it
>uses 1024 byte packets, which is MUCH more efficient than Kermit's
>90-94 byte packets, or XMODEM's 128.  I can push a 19200 baud line at
>95%+ using ZMODEM.

Ok, so what happens when you use Kermit's 2000-2048 byte packets?

Oh, you haven't used C-Kermit 5A or MS-Kermit 3.11?  Sorry to hear that :-)

--

I can barely speak for myself, let alone Texas Instruments  :-)

best BBS file xfer protocol from a UNIX workstation

Post by Bill Campbe » Thu, 18 Jun 1992 13:21:13

:>|> >
:>|> >I would like to be able to log on to a BBS from a UNIX workstation and
:>|> >upload and download. I can do this from KERMIT with absolutely no
:>|> >problem, except that the troughput is so slow.

:>You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the
:>windowing protocol and should deliver 90-95% of full line speed. Of
:>course if the system is loaded to death, nothing will help. [XYZ]modem
:>are available, also.

:Kermit and XMODEM will deliver 90%+ of full line speed only when running
:at 2400 baud or less.  At 9600 and 19200 baud, throughput is absymal.
:I'd recommend using ZMODEM for high-speed transfers - at 9600 baud, it
:uses 1024 byte packets, which is MUCH more efficient than Kermit's
:90-94 byte packets, or XMODEM's 128.  I can push a 19200 baud line at
:95%+ using ZMODEM.

You don't read well do you?  From above:
:>You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the

CURRENT versions of c-kermit for UNIX support large packets and
sliding windows and I regularly see around 860 cps on v.32 modems
like the Telebit T1600s going to/from UNIX and DOS machines.  On
the other hand, most kermit implementations by BBSs and PC comm.
programs are pretty sad and don't support these features.

Pro-yam is faster with its extended zmodem protocol, and has the
additional feature of being able to restart an transfer without
having to redo the entire file.  This alone is worth it if the
other system supports this restart.

Bill
--

UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way
             uunet!camco!bill   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

Post by william E Davids » Sat, 20 Jun 1992 21:46:12

|> >You must have an old version of Kermit. Current Kermit supports the
|> >windowing protocol and should deliver 90-95% of full line speed. Of
|> >course if the system is loaded to death, nothing will help. [XYZ]modem
|> >are available, also.
|>
|> Kermit and XMODEM will deliver 90%+ of full line speed only when running
|> at 2400 baud or less.

  Please reread the first sentence of my original posting. Current
release windowing kermit will deliver about 880cps on a 9600 line, and
I'm pretty sure the limiting factor is the sending end, since zmodem and
uucp get about the same thing.

  In theory zmodem is 2-3% better than window kermit. In practice there
are a lot more systems offering good kermit than any zmodem. Modern
kermit wil, can, and does in practice deliver 90-93% of max line speed.
--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345
        Recession: your friend loses his job
        Depression: you lose your job
        Recovery: Bush loses his job

1. lilo error L BB BB BB BB BB

Hello,
I am trying to install debian potato on an elderly system, where
hda-disk is 120MByte and therefore shall host only the /boot - section,
which is mounted to a
10MByte-Partition (/hda1). The rest resides on hde, which a 30GB-HD on
an
promise-controller.

My Problem: After installing debian with some boot parameters for the
controller
and the hde-disk it boots well from the rescue-floppy, but not from hard
disk.
Lilo hangs, showing on the screen:
L BB BB BB BB
and adding a new "BB" every second.

I checked the geometry of hda against BIOS, fdisk, bootmessage and lilo,
they
are identical. I used another location on /hda (perhaps some blocks are
bad?),
but it didn't help.

Could anyone help? What does the Lilo-Message mean? How can I fix this
problem?

Thanks,
Uwe

My output from lilo -v -v -v is

LILO version 21.5-1 beta, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Secondary loader: 8 sectors.
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Boot image: /vmlinuz
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Setup length is 8 sectors.
Mapped 0 sectors.
Added Linux *
    <dev=0xb0,hd=0,cyl=11,sct=112>
    "ro root=2101 BOOT_FILE=/vmlinuz ide2=0x1030,0x1042
     ide3=0x1038,0x1046 hde=59554,16,63"
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
/boot/boot.0300 exists - no backup copy made.
Map file size: 13824 bytes.
Writing boot sector.

2. Lunix Redhat 6.0 Routing

3. lilo error L BB BB BB BB

4. Key binding in X

5. What's best for reliable BBS: SCO Unix, Linux, or NT?

6. Win2k + RedHat 9 dual boot

7. C/C++ Libraries for Modem Control / File Xfer on UNIX

8. CD-RW and Ultra 10, device name????

9. Help with missing protocol & named-xfer

10. Xfer Protocols

11. TCP, UDP protocols vs. Unix domain protocols

12. What's wrong with 'file protocol' or 'http://localhost protocol'?

13. Using SMB as the only protocol for UNIX/Linux file sharing