Simple rm question

Post by Alan Myer » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Y'all,
Can anyone tell me a good way to globally delete any files in a certain
directory and its subdirectories created before a certain date?  Thanks.

Simple rm question

Post by Cheng-Jih Ch » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Y'all,
>Can anyone tell me a good way to globally delete any files in a certain
>directory and its subdirectories created before a certain date?  Thanks.

man find

--

"Look, he sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He
knows when you've been bad or good. And he's got a list with the name

Simple rm question

Post by S.Tompkin » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi Y'all,
> Can anyone tell me a good way to globally delete any files in a certain
> directory and its subdirectories created before a certain date?  Thanks.

use the atime parm with find and do an -exec rm

Simple rm question

Post by John Riddoc » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi Y'all,
> >Can anyone tell me a good way to globally delete any files in a certain
> >directory and its subdirectories created before a certain date?  Thanks.

> man find

Actually, you can't.  You can delete files which were modified or
accessed before a certain date, but not those which were _created_
before a certain date.  Unix FS only stores the modification time
(which is the creation time just after creation) and access time.
This is, perhaps, one advantage of filesystems like FAT on the PC
which store creation, modification and access times.

--
John Riddoch                    Programmer/Webmaster
Room C6, School of Computer and Mathematical Science

1. Simple question: want to do "rm -rf * .*"

Trying to delete an entire directory, including . files.  The obvious
"rm -rf * .*" might be a disastrous, altho it seems that some commands don't
traverse the ".." directory.

What would be the regular expression to achieve the above?  I've tried
several to no avail - still reading up on the regexp, but not yet figured it
out (obviously).

Thanks,

Jim

2. arrgg - Solaris 2.x & perl compilation

3. a simple question about rm

4. Can't boot Windows from LILO

5. Why all the fuss over a simple rm?

6. Help! Include Files Question

7. A simple question deserving a simple answer

8. imap, pop, webmail server software

9. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

10. Simple question from simple user

11. Simple FTP question (very simple)

12. simple question about simple code

13. Simple question for us simple minded.