ISP

Post by Rodn » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am wondering what kind of unix workstations ISPs use.  Can it be done with
Sun SPARCstation 5?

ISP

Post by M?rten Zimmerm » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

 R> I am wondering what kind of unix workstations ISPs use.  Can it be done with
 R> Sun SPARCstation 5?

Workstations are a name for computers in a network with a harddisk and
memory but dosen't usally host any servers. Other computers in a
network may be file servers, terminals and such.

An ISP may chose from a varity of worstations.And servers. I know a
ISP in Sweden who uses Intels machines and run Linux. as well as onme
who run the newest servers from Digital with DEC UNIX.

But as an answer to your question: Yes you can become an ISP with only
a SUN Sparc. But if you want to be able to host many users you might
want to upgrade to a faster machine.

/mzi

--
+-----------------------------+---------------------------+------------------+
|  Micro$oft is not the answer, Micro$oft is the question, the answer is no. |

+-----------------------------+---------------------------+------------------+

ISP

Post by Andrew Vern » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:  R> I am wondering what kind of unix workstations ISPs use.  Can it be done
:  R> with Sun SPARCstation 5?

Sure.  You might want to suppliment it with additional hardware, though.
Many ISPs in the United States choose Linux on Intel boxes simply because
the OS is free (Solaris is about $795) and fast hardware is cheap and
plentiful.  Count on your SPARC 5 to see you through to the first 300
subscribers.  If you plan to offer a full newsfeed, or want to go after
virtual domain customers, plan to pick up at least one more box before
opening shop.

--
Andrew Vernon

ISP

Post by Ray A. Jon » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: :  R> I am wondering what kind of unix workstations ISPs use.  Can it be done
: :  R> with Sun SPARCstation 5?

: Sure.  You might want to suppliment it with additional hardware, though.
: Many ISPs in the United States choose Linux on Intel boxes simply because
: the OS is free (Solaris is about $795) and fast hardware is cheap and
: plentiful.  Count on your SPARC 5 to see you through to the first 300
: subscribers.  If you plan to offer a full newsfeed, or want to go after
: virtual domain customers, plan to pick up at least one more box before
: opening shop.

It depends on how you configure the whole system, but we have no problem
supporting 1000-1500 subscribers on an Intel box.  If you make the computer
do all the work, 300 subscribers would be pushing the limit vary hard.

--

                                  Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 236-1676
Manufacturer of InterRack (Internet-in-a-Rack), a full turn-key

1. Announce - ISP FAQ - UK ISPs

United Kingdom based readers may be interested to know that recent
messages on uk.comp.os.linux have resulted in the assembly of
a faq with data on UK ISPs and connecting to them.

While some of the information is Linux specific, a significant
amount will be of interest to anyone trying to select or use a UK
ISP from anything other than Windows/Mac.

The faq is at http://www.sweeney.demon.co.uk/ISP_FAQ.htm. OpenBSD
specific contributions are welcome will be put in a separate section.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

2. DDS-2 DAT tape support?

3. ODARS ISP Server free for commercial/institutional ISP's

4. Slow Telnet on RedHat 4.1 resolved. How can I share one CD-ROMS on two servers?

5. nameserver ISP or forwarders ISP?

6. Archive of the mailing lists?

7. Automated Dialup to ISP and Rotating ISP Accounts

8. dualboot

9. ISP connection: starting PPPD on ISP's machine

10. ODARS ISP Server free for commercial/institutional ISPs/IPPs

11. Solaris fuer ISPs / Solaris for ISPs

12. transition from isp 'A' to isp 'B' routing problem

13. Linux Friendly ISP's (spc Free-ISP's)