Porting UNIX

Post by me » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

How portable is Unix as an operating system?
Does anyone know how Unix is ported to other architectures, for
instance NT uses a Hardware abstraction layer to enable porting to
Unix, so how does Unix do it?

Porting UNIX

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> How portable is Unix as an operating system?
> Does anyone know how Unix is ported to other architectures, for
> instance NT uses a Hardware abstraction layer to enable porting to
> Unix, so how does Unix do it?

AFAIK there are unix variants available for everything from Intel 486
through CRAY supercomputers, of many different hardware architectures.
Just how portable do you want it to be? As the cost of hardware keeps
coming down, it unix will eventually get ported to your toaster.
--
Kurt J. Lanza

1. Console Access Serial Ports (Unix to Unix)

Hello,

At this time we are using a W2K Server where we connect the Com port to
the A/B port on the Sun Ultra 10's in our office.  We then use VT100 to
run the machines at the console level using hyperterm (or CRT).

What we want to do is find out if we can do the exact same thing,
except go from the A/B on one Ultra 10 (Solaris 7) to the A/B on a
second Ultra 10.  This way we could essentially have each machine
connected to a buddy, and have console access from one to another.

Does anyone know what cabling would be needed (I'm guessing pretty much
the same as what we have now) and any command line (Bash shell)
executable software (or a command even) that we can use from a telnet
session?

I've read some of the posts on this, but the link I seem to be missing
is how I can get into the second machine's serial port via command line
on the first machine.

THanks,
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Is There A Common Command To Get A FULLY-QUALIFIED Hostname?

3. Porting Unix socket program to Windows NT

4. Diamond Stealth III + X problem

5. Porting Unix Apps to Linux

6. ISDN for linux

7. Porting unix based software to Windows NT

8. Linux with more than 25 lines

9. Harris dual-port Unix system?

10. Porting UNIX apps to Windows NT - IPC Mechanisms

11. Porting Unix apps to NT

12. Microsoft Ports Unix To Microcomputers

13. Bugs/Difficulties in porting UNIX 6th Edition kernel (Lions)