Problems installing a DPT adapter in SCO 5.0.4 (new install)

Problems installing a DPT adapter in SCO 5.0.4 (new install)

Post by Wildca » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

We are installing a DPT Century PCI SCSI adapter into an old machine, with a
Micronics D5CUB motherboard and we are having difficulty having SCO
recognize the adapter.  We removed every other card except for an ISA SVGA
video card.  We have Device 0 as the primary HD, 1 the secondary HD, 2 the
tape drive and 5 the CD ROM with the adapter being device 7.  Both HD are
new and empty.  The configuration utility for the DPT adapter is showing all
devices perfectly.  It's configuration is showing an IRQ of 15 and I/O
address of E000000, which apparently is to be assigned by the BIOS, since
there is no utility or jumper to change it.  In the BIOS we disabled the
onboard IDE ports, primary and secondary.  The onboard floppy is still
active.

The BIOS system configuration screen shows this:
Bus=0 Device No=19 Function=1 Vendor No=1044 Device Id=A501 Device
Class=Unknown PCI Adapter IRQ=NA

We insert the SCO boot disk and get a boot: prompt.
We type 'defbootstr link=dpti5' as per instructions.  (we are using the
latest drivers downloaded off the web)
It asks for the dpti drivers disk and installs them fine.
When it is going through it's devices on bootup, it fails with the
following:

G hd_config

Information is as follows:

%adapter    0xE000-0xE0FF    vector=255    type=dpti ha=0 id=7 PCI v1.11

Error message:

idistributed: Cannot handle interrupts from PCI device
(handler F025B940, device 0/19/1)

Of course DPT's website is throughly useless on the tech support scale, and
what I am thinking is that the BIOS is ancient (10/1/96) and cannot assign
an IRQ to this device.  We have tried clearing the BIOS, resetting the PCI
configurations, different slots, clearing the NVRAM in the DPT adapter; none
of which works.

Are there any other parameters that I can use with defbootstr to assign an
IRQ?  Is the BIOS too old?  Any other tricks that anyone might think of to
solve this?
We do have a request in for an updated Award BIOS :)

Thanks
Michael
--
**********
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off to conserve energy.

Problems installing a DPT adapter in SCO 5.0.4 (new install)

Post by Bob Baili » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:57:21

Try leaving the primary and secondary IDE adapters enabled, so that IRQ 14&15
are in use.  This should force the DPT card to be assigned IRQ 9, 10 or 11,
which the driver may more easily recognize.

The vector=255 you mention below indicates, IIRC, that NO IRQ was assigned to
the DPT card.  The IRQ=NA in your BIOS seems to indicate the same thing.

If your BIOS allows you to assign a specific IRQ to a specific PCI slot, you
might want to try that also.

--
Bob Bailin

1. problem installing SCO UNIX 4.2 with a flashpoint adapter

Hello, I am trying to install SCO UNIX on a machine equipped with a
flashpoint
host adapter,
I already have downloaded the drivers and made the BTLD disk which loads
fine.
but during the devices initialization the installer gives me this message
:

WARNING : SCSI adaptor: Cannot install vecno=10, type=1, IPL=5
Vector 10 is private

the installation goes on and when I can see the harddisk led being lit,
suddenly the machine freezes

the adapter we use is a flashpoint LT host adapter and it uses the IRQ
channel 10

2. pcnfs-linux net w/ AT1500 problems!

3. SCO install: no CD, no SCO install server?

4. Clearing out shared libraries

5. Re-Install SCO OpenServer Rel3.2v5.0.0 on new system - serial mouse problem - Help Please

6. pci ethernet resource conflict: can't load module rtl8139

7. How do I install SCO with secondary adapter

8. Apache 1.3.12 sun solaris 8

9. Free-SCO Install (adapter no detect)

10. RedHat 3.0.3 + DPT PM2022 install problem

11. Install problem with DPT PM2024

12. SCO 3.2v4.2 <-> Multiple SCSI Adapter (AH 2940) during install

13. Fresh install SCO OS5.0.5 with Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Adapter hangs with F bladinit