Converting VMS backup format to UNIX tar format

Post by Anita Hsiu » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 03:22:01

>I have files on tape stored in VMS backup format.  Are there utilities
>available to convert them into UNIX tar format?

I realized the above is not what I wanted to ask.

I meant to say, I have binary files on a tape created using the BACKUP
command on VMS.  I need a utility to pull the files onto a UNIX
machine.  Are there any utilities that do this?

         ---------
         |       |             |--------|
         |  VMS  |-- BACKUP -->|  TAPE  |
         |       |             |--------|
         ---------

                                  ----------
      |--------|                  |        |
      |  TAPE  |-- ? UTILITY ? -->|  UNIX  |
      |--------|                  |        |
                                  ----------

Thanks again,
-- Anita --
--
--------------->>  Anita Hsiung, Technical Consultant  <<--------------------
|   BBN Software Products Corporation    |  Theatre is life;                |

Converting VMS backup format to UNIX tar format

Post by Anita Hsiu » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 01:45:19

Hi everyone,

I have files on tape stored in VMS backup format.  Are there utilities
available to convert them into UNIX tar format?

I would really appreciate this information if you can even send me
some pointers.

Thanks,
-Anita-
--

Post by gezel.. » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 18:39:03

>>I have files on tape stored in VMS backup format.  Are there utilities
>>available to convert them into UNIX tar format?

> I realized the above is not what I wanted to ask.

> I meant to say, I have binary files on a tape created using the BACKUP
> command on VMS.  I need a utility to pull the files onto a UNIX
> machine.  Are there any utilities that do this?

>          ---------
>          |       |             |--------|
>          |  VMS  |-- BACKUP -->|  TAPE  |
>          |       |             |--------|
>          ---------

>                              ----------
>       |--------|                  |        |
>       |  TAPE  |-- ? UTILITY ? -->|  UNIX  |
>       |--------|                  |        |
>                                   ----------

> Thanks again,
> -- Anita --
> --
> --------------->>  Anita Hsiung, Technical Consultant  <<--------------------
> |   BBN Software Products Corporation    |  Theatre is life;                |
> |       Cambridge, Massachusetts         |     Film is art;                 |

--
Anita,

I believe if you look up Boston Business Computing (I dont have
the telephone number handy, but their domain name is BBC.COM, so

I recall that they produced a product with almost exactly the
specification you requested.

I hope that the above is helpful. If I have been unclear, or can be of
further assistance, please feel free to contact me via Email or phone.

- Bob

| Robert Gezelter Software Consultant         Voice:   +1 718 463 1079     |
| 35-20 167th Street, Suite 215               Fax:       (on Request)      |
| Flushing, New York  11358-1731                                           |
| United States of America                                                 |

Post by Chris Fayl » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:08:37

>>>I have files on tape stored in VMS backup format.  Are there utilities
>>>available to convert them into UNIX tar format?

>> I realized the above is not what I wanted to ask.

>> I meant to say, I have binary files on a tape created using the BACKUP
>> command on VMS.  I need a utility to pull the files onto a UNIX
>> machine.  Are there any utilities that do this?

>I believe if you look up Boston Business Computing (I dont have
>the telephone number handy, but their domain name is BBC.COM, so

>I recall that they produced a product with almost exactly the
>specification you requested.

information on our 'vbackup' product which reads and writes VMS backup
tapes on UNIX.  Or, you can contact us at:

                Boston Business Computing
                13 Branch Street
                Methuen, MA 01844-1955
                (508) 725-3222
          FAX:  (508) 725-3229

Look for our WWW page coming soon...
--

Boston Business Computing         the real can be."

Post by Bob Marsha » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 15:50:24

>>> I realized the above is not what I wanted to ask.

>>> I meant to say, I have binary files on a tape created using the BACKUP
>>> command on VMS.  I need a utility to pull the files onto a UNIX
>>> machine.  Are there any utilities that do this?

>>I believe if you look up Boston Business Computing (I dont have
>>the telephone number handy, but their domain name is BBC.COM, so

>>I recall that they produced a product with almost exactly the
>>specification you requested.

> information on our 'vbackup' product which reads and writes VMS backup
> tapes on UNIX.

You don't need a commercial product to do this. You can create a tar
archive under VMS using public domain utilities. Just dump your backup
saveset back to disk using BACKUP, then use one of the many tar writers for
VMS to create a TAR archive, then ftp (or use tape) the tar archive
to your UNIX site. One source for TAR for VMS is ftp.spc.edu in
[.MACRO32.SAVESETS]VMSTAR.ZIP. Or, if there are not too many files in
the BACKUP save set, why not just ftp them to the UNIX node?

Bob Marshall                      \\     "Women aren't as smart as they
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co.      \\     think they are; they think we
Sunnyvale, CA                       \\    men know a lot more than we

"I tell the truth 'cept when I lie"   \\     - Tim the Toolman

Post by Anita Hsiu » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 00:45:51

>You don't need a commercial product to do this [me:  pull BACKUP
>files from tape onto UNIX machine]. You can create a tar
>archive under VMS using public domain utilities. [...]
>One source for TAR for VMS is ftp.spc.edu in
>[.MACRO32.SAVESETS]VMSTAR.ZIP. Or, if there are not too many files in
>the BACKUP save set, why not just ftp them to the UNIX node?

Thanks for the info.  I've already contacted BBC.  The above
suggestion was one of my first, but the client already has a lot of
tapes in BACKUP format on tape and there is no ftp connection between
their two sites.  So we're stuck with getting a utility that'll do
this read on binary files.  "vmsbackup" only works with ASCII files.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-- Anita --
--
--------------->>  Anita Hsiung, Technical Consultant  <<--------------------
|   BBN Software Products Corporation    |  Theatre is life;                |
|       Cambridge, Massachusetts         |     Film is art;                 |

Converting VMS backup format to UNIX tar format

Post by Ron Christian x55 » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 03:50:57

Not sure this helps, but at a previous job I had to regularly read
tapes produced on a Fujitsu mainframe.  I used "dd" to get the file
off the tape, and then used a program I had written to massage the
data into something useable.

I assume this is a one time thing, which precludes spending money
on a commercial product.

If you can get the data off the tape, you might do an octal dump of
the file and see if there's something relitively easy you could do to
recover the data.  (This is much easier if what you're recovering is
text.)  "dd" will do a byte swap for you, if your Unix machine is not
big-endian.

I apologize for the propeller-head solution, but it's the best I could
come up with, never having had to deal with VMS backups.  Good luck!

                        Ron

>>I have files on tape stored in VMS backup format.  Are there utilities
>>available to convert them into UNIX tar format?

>I realized the above is not what I wanted to ask.

>I meant to say, I have binary files on a tape created using the BACKUP
>command on VMS.  I need a utility to pull the files onto a UNIX
>machine.  Are there any utilities that do this?

>         ---------
>         |       |             |--------|
>         |  VMS  |-- BACKUP -->|  TAPE  |
>         |       |             |--------|
>         ---------

>                              ----------
>      |--------|                  |        |
>      |  TAPE  |-- ? UTILITY ? -->|  UNIX  |
>      |--------|                  |        |
>                                  ----------

>Thanks again,
>-- Anita --
>--
>--------------->>  Anita Hsiung, Technical Consultant  <<--------------------
>|   BBN Software Products Corporation    |  Theatre is life;                |
>|       Cambridge, Massachusetts         |     Film is art;                 |

--
  "Trust is a two way street.  If your elected representatives don't trust
   you, why should you trust them?"

1. Program to convert Unix file format to DOS / Windows format.

Hi ,
    I just saw a request on this list for a program to convert DOS files

to Unix.
    I would like a program to convert Unix format to DOS

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

2. Can Solaris dual boot with nt4.0 and win2000 server?

3. How to convert text files from Mac/Apple format to Unix format?

4. a filter with Apache

5. How to WRITE in VMS backup format in UNIX?

6. ISDN newbie question

7. Utility that converts .tar and .Z UNIX files to IBM PC MSDOS/Win 9X Pkzip format

8. Domestic Network

9. Convert vc file format to Lotus 1-2-3 file format?

10. VMS backup format conversion?

11. VMS BAckup Format Reader needed

12. how to convert uudecoded wp or ms word format in unix to use by unix editor?

13. Writing Unix/Ultrix format from VMS