portability(?): cut

Post by Carlo Marti » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

How portable is the "cut" command?  Are there any significant differences
from platform-to-platfrom or shell-to-shell?  The MIS guy I report to told
me that it wasn't portable.

        Carlo Martino

portability(?): cut

Post by Alan Robs » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

:
: How portable is the "cut" command?  Are there any significant differences
: from platform-to-platfrom or shell-to-shell?  The MIS guy I report to told
: me that it wasn't portable.

These days you should be OK. There were some platforms that did not
implement it, but I have not seen one for quite a while (old SCO systems
were the worst offenders i seem to recall). If you are worried, all your
"cut" functions can be re-written in "awk" which is portable. But I
wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I think your MIS guy is a little
out of date.

--
Best wishes,

Alan
----                                       | God in his wisdom made the fly
                                       _   | And then forgot to tell us why.
                                     o( )  |

1. portability(?): cut

How portable is the "cut" command?  Are there any significant differences
from platform-to-platfrom or shell-to-shell?  The MIS guy I report to told
me that it wasn't portable.

        Carlo Martino

2. Modem help

3. Detection of failed user login

4. Help: How to cut last field by CUT command

5. RH7.1 PCMCIA. machine hangs during bootup

6. Portability of lsdev and lsattr

7. Laptop users: PE-1200 comp. to DE600

8. Portability of SunOS packages under Solaris.

9. endianness/portability question ?

10. bash .profile portability

11. Portability of UNIX

12. Errata in X/OPEN Portability Guide