Getting rid of files with strange names.

Getting rid of files with strange names.

Post by Scott A. La » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Remove it by it's inode number (assuming you have no hard links
to the file):

# ls -i
1852   ?
123    fileA
# find . -inum 1852 -exec rm {} \;

Your welcome,
Scott
  * =====\==/                                     Scott A. Lane *
  * ======\/            Visual    Systems Installation Engineer *
  * ======/\           Database                                 *

  * I M A G E                             fax #:   408-993-1050 *

1. Getting rid of files with strange names.

:]::>> This is causing me no end of grief, as when I try to eliminate the file
:]::>> named -junk.txt, with the rm command, I always get an error message ...

What about just typing:

    rm ./-junk.txt

for some other problems, quote the filename
and for some non-printable embedded chars, you can work around them, usually,
with 'globbing'.

2. Why should I run Linux?

3. Getting rid of files with strange names...

4. using bit masks

5. Getting rid of files with strange names.

6. Bug Report (paging request)

7. Where can I find ready-to-use kernel?

8. getting rid of top lines of a file without searching through entire file

9. Getting Rid of the ~ Before User Names

10. Getting rid of named status messages?

11. getting rid of a file listing

12. getting rid of the junk files