starting server at boot time

Post by Brian Due » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi.  I'm trying to launch a server program at boot time on a DEC 3000
machine running a multi-level version of DEC's unix.  I've tried to do
it by putting a script in the /sbin/rc3.d directory, using an entry in
inittab, and even using inetd.  It seems to launch at bootup (it echoes
its PID), but when I log in and look for it, it's gone.  If anyone knows
what is killing this process, or a different or easier way I could
launch this program, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
Brian

starting server at boot time

Post by Fernando Sanabri » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

In SVR4 it is enuf putting a shell script in /etc/rc2.d o /etc/rc3.d (it
depends of the run level you want).  The file needs a name starting with a
'S' (b.e. S99myserver).   You can also have a file with a 'K' to stop the
process (b.e. K99myserver).

Quote:> Hi.  I'm trying to launch a server program at boot time on a DEC 3000