Where to Learn Unix C Programming??

Post by New2Un » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  I would like to know where a good place to start learning about
programming in C for Unix Systems. Are there any good books out there on
the subject. I would like one that explains the diferences in the
diferent implementations of Unix there strenghts and weaknesses.

thanks,

Post by david rosn » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>   I would like to know where a good place to start learning about
> programming in C for Unix Systems. Are there any good books out there on
> the subject. I would like one that explains the diferences in the
> diferent implementations of Unix there strenghts and weaknesses.

> thanks,

I taught myself C by reading Topics in C programming by Sephen G. Kochan
and Patrick H. Wood. The publisher is Hayden Books. This is a great C book
and is very specific to unix. It doesn't talk too much about the
differences in unix implementations, but if you want to learn C for unix
this book is perfect.

-dave

             david rosner

         WESTbrunswick Associates
          http://catalog.com/wba

Where to Learn Unix C Programming??

Post by le.. » Sun, 27 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm just starting to pick up Unix programming myself.  (I already know
C syntax moderately well but not the unix environment.)  The book I
like best that I've seen is Advanced Unix Programming, Marc
J. Rochkind, Prentic Hall.  It presumes you know C.  There's an
O'Reilly book, too, "Using C Under Unix" or something, author is
Currey or Currie. I can't say which is more authoritative or correct,
Rochkind is much more careful about error trapping and I think goes
into greater depth about when you use one technique rather than
another.  Both go into some detail about differences between unix
flavors.

I agree with david rosner, Topics in C Programming (Kochan and Wood,
Hayden) is helpful but it is also trying to teach C itself.

If anyone knows of tutorial information on programming under unix
that's on the net, let me know, I intend to compile a web page
of pointers.  (Or if  you know of such a web page, let me know.)
(Not just c, perl too, just anything with emphasis on Unix or TCP
programming.)

>>   I would like to know where a good place to start learning about
>> programming in C for Unix Systems. Are there any good books out there on
>> the subject. I would like one that explains the diferences in the
>> diferent implementations of Unix there strenghts and weaknesses.

>> thanks,

>I taught myself C by reading Topics in C programming by Sephen G. Kochan
>and Patrick H. Wood.

1. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

Hi,
would it be a good way to learn unix programming to the bottom if
one would work thru source codes of some of the freely available
unixes (like linux for example) ? This assumes one knows assembler
and C.

Thanx,
OggieD.

Cmpt.Sci major - 1st year
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Canada

2. Problems with mkcd to DVD

3. LEarning to program in UNIX Specs

4. floppy mount....AIX/Windows

5. Learning Unix C Programming

6. SERVERS

7. Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

8. directories for tftpd ?

9. learn unix shell programming

10. **LEARN UNIX programming!**

11. C programmer wants to learn unix programming

12. learning serial programming for Linux/Unix