real-time scheduling on unix?

Post by Junbiao Zha » Fri, 23 Jul 1993 09:20:47

Hello everybody.

I'm now developing a scheduling program which needs to be invoked every
fixed period(currently it's 16 milliseconds). The only thing I could find
in the unix system is the ualarm system call which can be used to generate
alarm signals every "fixed" interval. However, this is not accurate at all,
it keeps on drifting and the interval can not be specified below 10
milliseconds.

Does anybody know anyway to do this kind of real-time thing in this non
real-time system(we are using SUN OS 4.2)? I've heard that solaris 2.x
has some built-in mechanism for real-time scheduling but that's something
a little bit far away. If you have any suggestion on how to make the
scheduling accurate to 10milliseconds level, please tell me your suggestion.
Thanks in advance!

--Jeff

1. unix real-time scheduling?

Hello everybody.

I'm now developing a scheduling program which needs to be invoked every
fixed period(currently it's 16 milliseconds). The only thing I could find
in the unix system is the ualarm system call which can be used to generate
alarm signals every "fixed" interval. However, this is not accurate at all,
it keeps on drifting and the interval can not be specified below 10
milliseconds.

Does anybody know anyway to do this kind of real-time thing in this non
real-time system(we are using SUN OS 4.2)? I've heard that solaris 2.x
has some built-in mechanism for real-time scheduling but that's something
a little bit far away. If you have any suggestion on how to make the
scheduling accurate to 10milliseconds level, please tell me your suggestion.
Thanks in advance!

--Jeffrey

2. keyboard

3. Mixed Time-Share & real-Time scheduling

4. DGA Extensions?

5. Real-time Scheduling

6. Move effortlessly from network to network via scripts

7. questions about poll(2) in real-time scheduling

8. What no parallel port (please help Im desperate)

9. Real-time Scheduling

10. 2.4-ac: real-time / scheduling information out of /proc

11. threads in real-time scheduling - help needed

12. unix real time scheduling

13. Solaris2.0/2.1 Real time "Fast" timing/scheduling