keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by choice » Sun, 13 May 2001 01:42:08

Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

If You reply,please choose the post and email option,because I don't
want to miss your reply,and with my newsreader that is easily possible

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 13 May 2001 01:55:14

>Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

It's the <shift> <backslash>  character on my keyboard; found at the
upper right corner above the <enter> key.

YMMV

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 13 May 2001 01:59:36

>>Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

>It's the <shift> <backslash>  character on my keyboard; found at the
>upper right corner above the <enter> key.

Let's make that clearer, the key is (on my keyboard) located
immediately above the <enter> key, aligned with the <enter> key's
upper right corner. It looks like...

     ---+---+---+-----+
        ! [ ! ] !  \  ! <- that's the key
     ---+-+-+-+-+-----+
        ; ! ' ! Enter !
     ---+-+-+-+-------+
        ! / !  Shift  !
     ---+---+---------+

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Sun, 13 May 2001 02:05:42

>Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

Err.. Every keboard I've seen in the last 20 years or so has a vertical bar,
aka pipe, somewhere. So either you are blind or I misunderstand your
question.
Quote:

>If You reply,please choose the post and email option,because I don't
>want to miss your reply,and with my newsreader that is easily possible

Tough. You post to a newsgroup and cause us all to try to help, you can damn
well come here to look for answers. Besides, most attempts to reply to
poster seem to fail because people don't configure their mail systems
properly. I'm tired of trying to help and getting failed mail messages for
my trouble.

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 13 May 2001 02:32:24

>Let's make that clearer, the key is (on my keyboard) located
>immediately above the <enter> key, aligned with the <enter> key's
>upper right corner. It looks like...

>     ---+---+---+-----+
>        ! [ ! ] !  \  ! <- that's the key
>     ---+-+-+-+-+-----+
>        ; ! ' ! Enter !
>     ---+-+-+-+-------+
>        ! / !  Shift  !
>     ---+---+---------+

On my keyboard (Sun Type 5) that's the BackSpace key, and backslash/pipe is
one row up:

                v---that's the key
     -----+---+---+---+
        - ! = ! \ ! ` !
     ---+-+-+-+-+-+---+
        ! [ ! ] ! BS  !
     ---+-+-+-+-+-----+
        ; ! ' ! Enter !
     ---+-+-+-+-------+
        ! / !  Shift  !
     ---+---+---------+

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by brian hile » Sun, 13 May 2001 02:41:58

Quote:> Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

If you have a problem accessing a vertical pipe ("|") on, say, an
international keyboard, a caret ("^") is an alias for a pipe operator
on bourne shell and versions of ksh that have this ability
conditionally compiled into that binary.

For instance,

ls ^ wc

is the same as:

ls | wc

=Brian

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Sven Maschec » Thu, 17 May 2001 00:01:49

[xpost+fup2 comp.terminals]

>> Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.
>> [but not bothering to mention any more facts]
> Every keboard I've seen in the last 20 years or so has a vertical bar,
> aka pipe, somewhere.

Interestingly enough, even a VT220 with german keyboard layout
doesn't provide a pipe, you have to press <compose><shift-~><shift-7>
(which certainly is not documented on the kbd itself).

And anyway there must be a reason, that bourne shell accepts "^" for "|".
I even would suggest that as answer to the original poster ;-)

Sven

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Cyrille Lefevr » Thu, 17 May 2001 09:19:37

[fu2 changed] [snip]

Quote:> Interestingly enough, even a VT220 with german keyboard layout
> doesn't provide a pipe, you have to press <compose><shift-~><shift-7>
> (which certainly is not documented on the kbd itself).

Germans are very strange people, they even don't have an usuable
keyboard ;^)

Cyrille.
--

Supprimer "%no-spam" et ".invalid" pour me repondre. | about who it chooses
Remove "%no-spam" and ".invalid" to answer me back.  | to be friends with.

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Ronald Fische » Thu, 17 May 2001 16:16:28

> Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

How should anybody be able to answer this, without knowing which
keyboard and which Unix version you are using?

Ronald
--
Do NOT reply to the address given in the From: header. If you want to
reply by mail, use the following address (after deleting the XXX):

(Tired of getting spam after posting a message? http://www.deadspam.com)

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by choice » Thu, 17 May 2001 21:37:05

Hi Ronald and thanks very much for responding.

I have a standard 104 keyboard.It is compatible with WIN95,WIN 3.1 and
DOS.(The particular model I am using is a Keytronic classic.)

I have accounts on several Unix shell systems.

1-linux 2.0.38/i386 Node(ttype)
2-ATT Unix
3-Net BSD 1.4.3

These are my main accounts, but I have some other less important Unix
shell accounts with OS that I haven't checked yet.

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 18 May 2001 00:31:23

>Hi Ronald and thanks very much for responding.

>I have a standard 104 keyboard.It is compatible with WIN95,WIN 3.1 and
>DOS.(The particular model I am using is a Keytronic classic.)

What country?  If it was a US keyboard, there would be a key with the
pipe and backslash symbols on it, probably above the Enter key.

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sun, 20 May 2001 00:52:58

> Hi Ronald and thanks very much for responding.

> I have a standard 104 keyboard.It is compatible with WIN95,WIN 3.1 and
> DOS.(The particular model I am using is a Keytronic classic.)

> I have accounts on several Unix shell systems.

> 1-linux 2.0.38/i386 Node(ttype)
> 2-ATT Unix
> 3-Net BSD 1.4.3

The key for the pipe symbol is the key with the pipe symbol on it. If you're
not aware of what a pipe symbol looks like, it's a vertical line: |

keystroke for PIPE symbol

Post by C64 Use » Sun, 27 May 2001 12:44:50

> Would like to know which keystroke(s) would create the PIPE symbol.

For the millions of users of Commodore 64's using Novaterm 9.6 as a
terminal program, the pipe symbol is the shifted British pound sign which
is located in the top row of keyboard, third key from the right.  :)

1. Can scripts "pipe" keystrokes into X-GUIs?

I want to pump a few keystrokes into an X-GUI (Legato Storage Manager
doesn't have a text interface) from a script which can be the owner of
the X-GUI process if that needs to be the case.  Is this possible and
how would it be done?  What if a keystroke causes a new window to be
opened; would the "focus" need to be transferred to the new window or
does it automatically follow?
--
THANX...Gregg   day 972.684.7380  night UNLIST/PUBL   TEXAS NOT CANADA!

*CLASSIC VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR BUY/SELL/TRADE NON-COMPUTER (ARCADE/HOME)*
"If you quote me on this I'll have to deny it; I won't remember because
I have such a bad memory.  Not only that, but my memory is *terrible*."

2. rh 5.0 and appletalk printing

3. dump pipe gzip pipe ssh pipe dd... blocksize?

4. Help needed on Ethernet hardware on RT

5. pipe vs redirection symbol

6. Fvwm and a "good" config file that has look and feel of most WM's

7. Lost my pipe symbol in XTerm

8. How to lock down my box?

9. What handles the pipe symbol in pseudofile names like "|less"?

10. Lost my pipe symbol in XTerm

11. Cannot get pipe symbol under Redhat 4

12. Problem with Apache + PHP4 DSO : symbol __muldi3: referenced symbol not found

13. Symbol xyz <> Symbol xyz!