listing aliases w/o /etc/aliases

Post by Loki » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:17:06

You know how you never discover your backup is bad until you're in
trouble?

I accidentally overwrote by /etc/aliases file. Now, it wasn't very
complicated, and I was able to create a reasonable facsimile by getting
/etc/aliases from another machine I administer (since the backup was bad)
and modifying it a bit. But I want to make sure it's correct. I haven't
run newaliases so my old aliases are still in place.

Is there a way to find out what aliases are on a machine without
consulting /etc/aliases? Ideally, I'd love something that works like
crontab -l does, but any port in a storm.

I'm running sendmail 8.9.1 under IRIX 6.5.8, and I've groveled over FAQs
and the man page to no avail. If you have an answer, please email me.

--

My opinions are my own. PGP public key available. Surreal poetry on request.
"I waked, she fled, and day brought back my night." --Milton

1. MMDF & alias tables (mailing list) alias.list FORMAT

We are running into something I cannot find in the docs anywhere.
We have tried this on SCO UNIX Enterprise 3.2v4.2 and OpenServer 3.2v5.0.4
We know how to setup a mailing list under MMDF:
create an alias.list in /usr/mmdf/table:   E.g

medmgr-outbound:        include: /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr
medmgr-request: bob

and then in /usr/mmdf/lists/medmgr:   E.g.
bob

.... list.....

But the question, is it possible to have comments on each line, like you do
in an e-mail program?  Like

To make it easier to look at the list and maintain?
Just a list of addresses can be confusing (especially after a few months...)
Thanks for any ideas.

| CCS Enterprises, Inc.   P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601 |
|               http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!         |
|  Personal homepage:  http://www.intercom.net/user/consult     |
|-------> (410) 820-4670 ------------ FAX: (410) 476-5261 <-----|

2. ydl 2.2 and alctel speed touch home ethernet

3. aliases, aliases, aliases...

4. information on unix

5. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

6. X programs to display Postscript

7. Right Answers(Re: .forward vs. /etc/aliases or /usr/lib/aliases)

8. DNS Problems

9. /etc/aliases alias to a program not working properly

10. SENDMAIL problem: Aliasing non-local names in /etc/mail/aliases

11. SB Live Value...alias char-major-14 is alias'd twice ???

12. sendmail: unknown member map aliases.aliases

13. gethostbyname() on alias doesn't give other entries with same alias?