Summary of SLIP problems

Post by r.. » Wed, 07 Feb 1990 23:24:29

Fellow Net people,

                I had some problems installing SLIP (Serial Line IP) on our SUN
3/260 running SUN OS 3.5 a few days ago. Thanks to this users group I have since
resolved the problem and SLIP is available to our users. Here is a summary of
problems encountered and solutions to the problems:

Apparently there are quite a few implementations of SLIP out there on the
net. The TORONTO implementation (slip-3.x.tar.Z from neat.ai.toronton.edu) did
not work on this machine for some reason. The README file was not clear, at
least to me, and when I relinked the Kernel my machine would not boot up. I
will attempt to install this implementation again and summarize results.

        I ftp'd another implementation from mimsy.umd.edu (128.8.128.8) and this
one worked.  Here is a summary of steps to take when installing SLIP
(Serial Line IP):

Step 1:
In our machine I had to add the line "/sys/if_sl.c optional sl device-driver"
in the file /usr/sys/conf/files. In SUN OS 3.5 the "files" file has an entry
that reads "sys/tty_sl.c optional sl device-driver". I had to delete this line
since I added the if_sl.c" line into files.

Note:
Step 2:

Add the line "pseudo-device   sl2" in the config file (YOUR_KERNEL_NAME)
in /usr/sys/conf

Step 3:
Remove the directory called /usr/sys/YOUR_KERNEL_NAME.
Perform a "touch" on ALL c-files under /sys to get if_sl.c
compiled.

Step 4:
Go to your /usr/sys/conf directory and run "config YOUR_KERNEL_NAME". This will
create a new /usr/sys/YOUR_KERNEL_NAME directory.

Step 5:
This will relink your Kernel file and make a new vmunix for your machine.

If your Kernel was built correctly do the following:
        Copy your old vmunix to vmunix.old (cp /vmunix /vmunix.old).

        Copy /usr/sys/YOUR_KERNEL_NAME/vmunix to the root directory
        (cp /usr/sys/YOUR_KERNEL_NAME/vmunix /vmunix).

If your Kernel comes back with the message:

                undefined:
                         _if_detach
See my NOTE at the end and go back to Step 5.

Step 6:
Reboot your system with the new Kernel.

Step 7:
Once your system is up and running compile the slattach.c program
( cc slattach.c -o slattach).

Step 8:
run slattach.
(i.e. slattach TTYNAME SOURCE-NAME DESTINATION-NAME [BAUDRATE])

That's it! Again I will attempt to get the Toronto implementation to work but I make no promises. Hope this helps!

NOTE:
Mark Weiser provided this code and I added it at the end of if_sl.c. Once I
added it the Kernel relinked correctly.
Thanks Mark!

Subject: if_detach

/*
 *      This code normally lives at the end of /sys/net/route.c.  This file
 *  is not intended to be compilable as is.  It may make sense, if you
 *  install this code, to stick the following line in ioctl.h:
 *    #define SIOCIFDETACH    _IOW(i, 23, struct ifreq)
/*
/*
 * Detach an interface from the
 * list of "active" interfaces.
 */
if_detach(ifp)
        struct ifnet *ifp;
{
        register struct ifnet *p = ifnet;
        int s = splimp();

        if (p == ifp)
                ifnet = p->if_next;
        else
                while (p)
                        if (p->if_next == ifp) {
                                p->if_next = ifp->if_next;
                                break;
                        } else
                                p = p->if_next;
        splx(s);
        return;

Quote:}

Special thanks to the following people:

Bjorn Breidegard
Dept. of Computer Engineering
Lund University
Sweden

Mark Weiser

1. SLIP problems - SUMMARY

This is applicable only to my AIX 3.2.4 system.

I managed to get mine to work. I'm still not sure why, but

I removed my sl defination totally, disabled login,xon-xoff etc
(i.e. I turned off whatever could find) and added both "direct"
and "ACU" entries to my /etc/uucp/Devices file.

I redid everything and slattach this time let my
machine in (I used Winsock on a PC).

jin meng

2. Mandrake 8.2, Quotas, ext3

3. common SLIP problems: summary

4. Suggest a SUN/SPARC 10/100 PCI Ethernet adapter?

5. SLIP - summary

6. Matrox Millenium ??!!

7. Summary?: Trying to get SLIP working with dip

8. Count lines of ASCII

9. SLIP woes: a summary

10. Summary & More Questions: PC <-> Wstn SLIP, PC Xservers

11. SUMMARY: SLIP Info

12. SLIP<->SLIP Config problem

13. SUMMARY - dial-in/dial-out on the same port - SUMMARY