Source code from executable?

Post by W. Al » Sat, 22 Jan 1994 20:02:12

: How can I get the source code from a binary file, compiled using
: gcc -g? I've tried an od -a but I couldn't make much sense of the
: output. I know gdb would be able to give me a listing, but can someone
: give me some tips on how to write a program to do it. Thanks.

I think there is no way back from the compiled, executable program to
the source code in a higher language like C or FORTRAN. You can only
dissassemble an executable and get an assembler listing, which is often
dubious.                                                    W. Alex