TELNET character mapping problem

Post by Mark Bena » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 05:50:00

I have a LAN with a mixture of vendor products: Sun, Pyramid, and a VAX
running VMS and using EXCELAN's EXOS product.  I am having trouble with
the mapping of two control characters (^C and ^M) from the users
connected across the network from the VAX via Excelan's TELNET.

For the VAX to Pyramid connection, ^M is appearing as ^J.

For the VAX to Sun connection, when running Gnu Emacs, ^C is appearing

In both cases I am setting my terminal to be VT100 across the board.

Any ideas on how I can alter the mapping?  And why is it happening?
Is it just slightly different (i.e., incompatible) implementations
of TELNET?
--
Mark Benard

Tulane University                  USENET:     pyramid!tulane!mb

                                    (or pyramid!tulane!mb at DECWRL.DEC.COM)

1. telnet character by character

Greetings,
   I am using telnet to connect to a port attached to a piece of server
software I wrote.  I would like telnet to go into character by character mode
automatically.  I have tried using send() to send out-of-band data to telnet
to tell it that should use this mode  but I must be missing something.
(If I use the telnet break key then enter mode character, everything is
fine.)  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
   Vince Tkac

2. AIX 4.2.0 upgrade question

3. telnet line-by-line to character-by-character

4. How to run a daemon from inittab as a user

5. character-by-character mode through telnet

6. Using pkgmk, help

7. Console character map problem

8. Filter for HP LJ 5P and poor quality?

9. Telnet / Rlogin problem : characters, network hangs

10. Telnet character problem

11. man page character set problem over telnet

12. character mapping corrupted

13. character map corrupted after quit X?