Decoding MIME encoded material on UNIX, possible?

Decoding MIME encoded material on UNIX, possible?

Post by Michael Wal » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

I recently recieved a file via e-mail that was encoded using the MIME BASE64 format by the Pegasus Mail package. I am not familiar with this encoding format and have not been able to find a decoder or any information regarding MIME here.

Does a MIME decoder exist for UNIX (SUN SUN/OS) which will allow me to extract and decode this item. If such a package does not exist for UNIX platforms, can anybody tell me what platforms are MIME decoders available for.

Thanks in advance.

Post by PM Wo » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

: I recently recieved a file via e-mail that was encoded using the MIME BASE64 format by the Pegasus Mail package. I am not familiar with this encoding format and have not been able to find a decoder or any information regarding MIME here.

: Does a MIME decoder exist for UNIX (SUN SUN/OS) which will allow me to extract and decode this item. If such a package does not exist for UNIX platforms, can anybody tell me what platforms are MIME decoders available for.
Think the mail program pine can do this.
: Thanks in advance.

--

                    \\\//
                    (o o)

Post by Norm Nelso » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

>I recently recieved a file via e-mail that was encoded using the MIME BASE64 format by the Pegasus Mail package. I am not familiar =

with this encoding format and have not been able to find a decoder or any information regarding MIME here.
Quote:

>Does a MIME decoder exist for UNIX (SUN SUN/OS) which will allow me to extract and decode this item. If such a package does not exi=

st for UNIX platforms, can anybody tell me what platforms are MIME decoders available for.

I believe the zmail application which comes bundled with SGI UNIX boxes is
available for Suns. zmail supports base64 and uuencode. Z-Code software is

Incidentally does anyone out there know of a UNIX mts that supports BinHex from
Apple? I get a lot of mail from Mac'ers who routinely BinHex every snippet of
email, whether it needs to be or not.

Norman B. Nelson
Assistant Research Scientist
Bermuda Biological Station for Research, Inc.
Ferry Reach, St. George's
Bermuda GE 01
                            Phone: (809) 297-1880

World-Wide-Web: http://www.bbsr.edu/

Post by Tony Nugen » Mon, 15 May 1995 04:00:00

>>I recently recieved a file via e-mail that was encoded using
>>the MIME BASE64 format by the Pegasus Mail package. I am not
>>familiar with this encoding format and have not been able to find
>>a decoder or any information regarding MIME here.
>>Does a MIME decoder exist for UNIX (SUN SUN/OS) which will
>>allow me to extract and decode this item. If such a package does
>>not exi= st for UNIX platforms, can anybody tell me what
>>platforms are MIME decoders available for.

Try this (from the pine help screens):

Pine files and documentation are available via FTP or WWW:
ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/pine
http://www.cac.washington.edu/pine

Also send email to:

>I believe the zmail application which comes bundled with SGI UNIX boxes is
>available for Suns. zmail supports base64 and uuencode. Z-Code software is

>Incidentally does anyone out there know of a UNIX mts that
>supports BinHex from Apple? I get a lot of mail from Mac'ers who
>routinely BinHex every snippet of email, whether it needs to be
>or not.

Get the macutils from the net.  Use archie for a list of sites
near to you.  If that fails, I can email you the source code that
I have here.  "unpack" is the executable that you will need (an
unfortunate name, as it is the same as the unix unpack utility
used for .z files).

Cheers
Tony
           __                                              __
        __/\_\       .             Tony Nugent            /_/\__
     __/\_\/_/   _--_|\        Griffith University        \_\/_/\__
    /\_\/_/\_\  /     *\ Brisbane, Queensland, Australia  /_/\_\/_/\

          \/_/                                            \_\/

1. How to decode base64 encoding MIME type?

Hi all,

How do I decode a base64 MIME type?

TIA,

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

2. "open /dev/fb0: no such device" errot with XFree 4.1

3. MIME encoding/decoding

4. Native multithreading and NTFS support?

5. MIME en/decoding on Unix?

6. What does the WindowMaker paperclip do?

7. NIS+ Des credentials encoding/decoding (C programming)

8. Wanting to find a Replacement for VI

9. A simple program to decode BASE64-encoded messages?

10. Anyone know where to find source for 'encode/decode' ??

11. Problem with using XDR to decode and encode messages ??

12. NEED: SCO 3.2.4v2 binary for base64 encode/decode

13. Decode/Encode Help