UNIX rollout strategies

Post by baero » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I've got a group project assigned to four other students and myself in
my networking class.

We need to 'Implement and maintain a fully-functional UNIX or Linux
network.' he didn't really elaborate on requirements, but he wants an
outline of each person's duties in the group.

This isn't going to be too difficult, as I'm familiar enough with linux
to do this, but I've never really had to deal with a _team_ of people
who are responsible for the rollout. I think I've been elected the
leader of the group on account of the fact that I'm the only one in it
who's even dealt with UNIX.

What I want to do, instead of aiming at just slapping up a Linux box and
a few clients, is simulate how a UNIX implmentation would go in the
field. I have no idea how a tasks would be distributed to team members
in a UNIX rollout, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any
insight to offer me on the matter. My instructor is an NT zombie, so
he's pretty much useless as a resource, as are any of the class
materials. The class is entitled 'Networking essentials', but the text
is an NT administrators handbook. Go figure.

People think I'm an *, don't they?
        -Steve Jobs

UNIX rollout strategies

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

  baeron> I've got a group project assigned to four other students and
  baeron> myself in my networking class.

  baeron> We need to 'Implement and maintain a fully-functional UNIX
  baeron> or Linux network.' he didn't really elaborate on
  baeron> requirements, but he wants an outline of each person's
  baeron> duties in the group.

  baeron> This isn't going to be too difficult, as I'm familiar enough
  baeron> with linux to do this, but I've never really had to deal
  baeron> with a _team_ of people who are responsible for the
  baeron> rollout. I think I've been elected the leader of the group
  baeron> on account of the fact that I'm the only one in it who's
  baeron> even dealt with UNIX.

  baeron> What I want to do, instead of aiming at just slapping up a
  baeron> Linux box and a few clients, is simulate how a UNIX
  baeron> implmentation would go in the field. I have no idea how a
  baeron> tasks would be distributed to team members in a UNIX
  baeron> rollout, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any
  baeron> insight to offer me on the matter. My instructor is an NT
  baeron> zombie, so he's pretty much useless as a resource, as are
  baeron> any of the class materials. The class is entitled
  baeron> 'Networking essentials', but the text is an NT
  baeron> administrators handbook. Go figure.

How many separate boxes are you talking about here?

1. PC Leaders' UNIX strategies.

http://www.performancecomputing.com/opinions/throttle/9806.shtml
Linux renders ships, NT is rendering ships useless

2. Disable su to root

3. A backup script and backup strategies for linux/Unix

4. routing through a firewall???

5. Reserve/commit memory management strategy for UNIX

6. disable authentication messages

7. BACKUP Strategy and Software for UNIX and Novell

8. adaptec 3940

9. Win 2000 will me a massive rollout.

10. Linux enterprise rollout questions

11. opportunity to participate in new product rollout

12. Frequency of rollouts

13. India's 'Poor-Friendly' Simputer Set for May Rollout