.plan file

Post by Richard A. Crompto » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 05:55:44

Where do I place my .plan file in order for it to appear when someone
fingers me?
Rich Crompton

.plan file

Post by John Gord » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 05:57:08

Quote:> Where do I place my .plan file in order for it to appear when someone
> fingers me?

your home directory.

---
"... What with you being his parents and all, I think that you could
be trusted not to shaft him."  -- Robert Chang, rec.games.board

.plan file

Post by Arun Saravana » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:00:50

$HOME/.plan

ar.
------

Quote:> Where do I place my .plan file in order for it to appear when someone
> fingers me?
> --
> Thanks,
> Rich Crompton

.plan file

Post by jon wil » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:33:16

: Where do I place my .plan file in order for it to appear when someone
: fingers me?

I imagine you had it in your home directory (the correct place) already;
the problem might be that you need to change permissions on it. Try this:

% chmod a+r .plan

and see if others can see it now.

.plan file

Post by Dan Bircha » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 17:45:45

Quote:> Where do I place my .plan file in order for it to appear when someone
> fingers me?

Typically it goes in one's home directory.  I can't rule out the
possibility that some flavor out there somewhere does it differently,
but I can't particularly imagine where else it'd go.  There may be
some permissions involved (perhaps world-readability?) but it's been
such a long time since I had a .plan that I can't recall.

-Dan (chaos, no plan here)

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley - Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org/
My addresses expire... take out the hex stamp if your reply bounces

1. Name pipe files and finger .plan files...

I read with interest in the FAQ file here, the suggestion about using a name
pipe (made with mknod) in regards to finding, and possibly using the name of
the person fingering you in a plan file. However, the FAQ just brushes on the
idea and looks more at how to find remote user names.

Would some kind soul(s) be willing to explain to an intermediate shell user/C
programmer how to receive a (local, or perhaps remote) users name when
fingered and possibly how to show that name in the .plan file (ex. "Geez, Jo
Blow sure is nozy...").

Oh, some assumptions to answer: running SunOS 4.1 with BSD. Name pipes are
allowed with mknod and it appears fingerd will accept them as .plan files.

Please email responses to me, as I don't get to this group often, and this is
a pretty FAQish question.  Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

James Miller

2. New to linux

3. Proper use of .plan file?

4. Purpose of Loopback device 127.0.0.1

5. .plan files

6. Apache1.3.0 error: [error] Symbolic link not allowed: /usr/local/jdk/

7. Not the Same Old .Plan File Question

8. power management does not work for users (ie: turn monitor off)

9. .PLAN file

10. finger doesn't display plan file?

11. Procedure to append .plan file

12. fingerd not displaying .plan file Soalris 2.3

13. ANSI animations in .plan files?