Cross-system tape backup utility

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 07:40:20

>[ Article crossposted from alt.sys.intergraph ]
>I am looking for a Clix version of tape backup utility that can allow my
>Interpro workstation to do backup using other machine's (RS6000) tape backup
>unit. I've peek thru ingrware site but find nothing. Is there any such
>utility available, and where can I obtain a copy?

>p.s. The utility should be called rtar or something like that.

All you need is a working rsh setup.  To send from the local machine
to another's tape drive use somethng like:
  tar -cf - . |rsh othermachine dd [options] of=tape_device
or from the tape host:
  rsh othermachine 'cd directory; tar -cf - .' |dd [options] of=tape_device

Note that the dd options will need a suitable block size, and that you'll
probably need root permission on the machine where you are doing the
backup which may take speciall arrangements if you issue the command
from the other machine.

Les Mikesell

--
| Bosco Tsang  | Department of Geography, Hong Kong Baptist University |

| gopher ctsc.hkbc.hk  path: /Academic Department/Geography Department |