login to telnet session as root?

Post by mags dohen » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Could someone tell me how to login to a Solaris machine as root using
telnet; i.e. how to get rid of the 'Not on system console' message which

prevents me from doing so?

thx,
mags/

  mdoheny.vcf
< 1K Download

login to telnet session as root?

Post by Christian Eriksso » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

Maybe you already know this but if you have access to another user
account on the machine there is a workaround. Log in to the other
account and then "su" to root

Either
# su root
(without executing root's initialization files)
or
# su - root
(executing root's initialization files)

and now you are root.

/Christian.

Post by Allen Hubbl » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Could someone tell me how to login to a Solaris machine as root using
> telnet; i.e. how to get rid of the 'Not on system console' message which

> prevents me from doing so?

> thx,
> mags/

Try 'man securetty'.

... Al

Hubble Technology Consulting, Inc.
Progress/UNIX, EDI/EC, Mfg/Pro
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
416-802-5713
**********  Fortune favours the BOLD!  ***********

Post by bmar.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

   >Could someone tell me how to login to a Solaris machine as root
   >using telnet; i.e. how to get rid of the 'Not on system console'
   >message which
   >prevents me from doing so?
Some versions of Unix have a file called /etc/securetty which lists the
terminals from which root login is allowed.  It's generally considered
safer to login as a regular user and then su to root.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

login to telnet session as root?

Post by Rei » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Modify your /etc/default/login file and comment out the line that says
CONSOLE=/dev/console or similar.

Quote:>SNIP

Post by Nick Bisho » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Could someone tell me how to login to a Solaris machine as root using
> telnet; i.e. how to get rid of the 'Not on system console' message which

> prevents me from doing so?

> thx,
> mags/

You've already got some good answers.  My point is get into the habit of
typing
  /bin/su
always.  It stops people hacking your own account and putting a rogue su
on the system (unless they actually put it in /bin which is unlikely)

Referring to Christian Eriksson's answer, it would become
  /bin/su root
or
  /bin/su - root

HINT: to force the habit, put this alias in your accounts
  alias su='echo "Not using a path will bite you one day"; : '

Nick Bishop
-----
Hit any user to continue
-oOo-

Post by nob.. » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> My point is get into the habit of
> typing
>   /bin/su
> always.  It stops people hacking your own account and putting a rogue su
> on the system (unless they actually put it in /bin which is unlikely)
> HINT: to force the habit, put this alias in your accounts
>   alias su='echo "Not using a path will bite you one day"; : '

Which, of course, alerts the cracker to the fact that you always type
/bin/su so next week they come back with a rogue shell and hide an
exec somewhere in your .login (or whatever).

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\

login to telnet session as root?

Post by loriwilliam » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

in your /etc/default directory there is a file called login.
vi that file.
there will be an entry with CONSOLE=/dev/console
put a # infront of that.
#CONSOLE=/dev/console
save the file and quit from it.
Now when you telnet you will be able to login as root using telnet, not
having to
login as a user then suing to root.

Quote:> Could someone tell me how to login to a Solaris machine as root using
> telnet; i.e. how to get rid of the 'Not on system console' message which

> prevents me from doing so?

> thx,
> mags/

1. how login as root in telnet session

I made a dialin telnet session from W95 to my linux box.
Everything works fine, except the Linux box won't
allow me to log in as root when telnetting to it.

/var/log/secure reports :

cpu1 login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM 172.116.0.25 FOR mybox,
Authentication failure

What should I modify to be able to ?

Erik

2. libfl.so????????? ld library

3. Login as root with telnet session

4. Problem with adaptec 1540CF

5. root login from telnet session (RH6.0)

6. Adaptec 2100S Raidcontroller and Kernel 2.4.13

7. login to telnet session as root?

8. pthreads doesn't work in a dynamic link library?

9. automatic login by telnet session

10. Telnet login sessions dying

11. Telnet sessions not stopping for login prompt

12. root from a telnet session?????

13. telnet session to get by "login" prompt