SMB with dual-fork files?

Post by Jeffrey A. Hawkin » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:13:10

Mac OS X is an implimentation of BSD Unix with a big ol' shell on top.

I am able to access my Win NT server via the following:

   mkdir TheShareIWant

However, certain applications seem to either lose their executable-bit
setting, or resource fork... These programs will not execute after copying
them down.

Does SMB not support dual-fork files? Or, might there be something else
going on here?

Thanks!

SMB with dual-fork files?

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:14:29

Quote:>Does SMB not support dual-fork files?

correct.

--
okay, have a sig then

1. Can SMB be made to handle dual-fork files?

We have an NT server with some Mac OS X (FreeBSD based Unix) clients. The
default shell on the clients is tcsh.

While new software is being written using single-fork file, there are a lot
of legacy Mac software and files that still use both a data fork and a
resource fork. Transferring these files via a terminal window using
mount_smbfs causes the resource fork to get chopped off.

Does anyone know how to move dual fork files from a command line without
breaking them?

Thanks!
--
Jeffrey A. Hawkins
Information Systems Supervisor

Take 'Not' out of my e-mail to reply. (Anti-Spam Precaution)

2. RE bug with less-237 on Solaris 2.4?

3. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

4. Promise FastTrak IDE Raid Card supported?

5. comsat forking, forking and forking (3.2.0)

6. ADAP152X SCSI card not detected! Help!

7. Saving text file on SMB share - file has changed

8. White Paper on the Linux kernel VM?

9. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

10. should restart smb each time the smb.conf changed

11. Such a thing as "Secure" SMB, ie encrypted SMB?

12. smbsh /smb: Do I create the directory /smb

13. fork call without using function fork()