Identifying members of group for file access

Identifying members of group for file access

Post by Ekadas » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:41:18

Hi,

Suppose I want to identify members of my group so that I can find out who
will have access to a particular file. Is there any way I can do this?

Identifying members of group for file access

Post by Scott Wegene » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:48:54

Quote:> Hi,

> Suppose I want to identify members of my group so that I can find out who
> will have access to a particular file. Is there any way I can do this?

> Thanks,

groups <user> works under Linux and IIRC most others(no access to Solaris
box at the moment), or you can always look at the /etc/group file

Scott

Identifying members of group for file access

Post by Barry Kimelma » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:01:27

[This followup was posted to comp.unix.questions]

Quote:> Hi,

> Suppose I want to identify members of my group so that I can find out who
> will have access to a particular file. Is there any way I can do this?

> Thanks,

Several steps :

(1) Use the "id" command to display your group-id.

(2) Look at the /etc/group file to to get a list of all the users in your
group.

--
---------

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

1. ProFTP is lot limiting access to specified members of group -- suggestions?

We're running ProFTPD 1.2.7 on Red Hat 7.3, and I want to limit FTP
access to only members of the ftpusers group.  Below is my
proftpd.conf file, which I do limit access to this group -- but it's
not working.  Anyone with a valid username and password, whether
they're in the ftpusers group or not can successfully FTP in.

ServerName                      "The FTP Server"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer                   on
DefaultRoot                     ~
TransferLog                     /ftplog/proftpxferlog
LogFormat default "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
LogFormat auth "%v [%P] %h %t \"%r\" %s"
LogFormat write "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
LogFormat read "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
Port                            21
Umask                           022
MaxInstances 500
User                            nobody
Group                           nogroup
<Directory />
  AllowOverwrite                on
#  This should limit access to only members of the ftpusers group
#  but it apparently isn't working as any user can FTP in.
  <Limit READ WRITE DIRS>
    AllowGroup ftpusers
    DenyALL
  </Limit>
</Directory>
<Global>
</Global>

Any suggestions?  Thanks,

Alex.

2. HELP!!!

3. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?

4. PnP video cards

5. permissions & group members of groups with Sol 2.6

6. Size of various installs

7. adding group members to group.org_dir

8. ksu?

9. stupid question: rm file as group member and not as owner

10. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

11. glibc 2.0 accessing _cnt member in FILE struct (stdio.h)

12. AIX security - new group member

13. Members of group unable to write